Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I just received my ATI ICP Test:
TLDR:
  1. Aluminium is high 60.45 µg/l - Main suspect is Marine Pure Sphere.
  2. Tin is high.. not sure if I need to worry about this.
  3. Need to dose Iodine
Unwanted Levels:
  • Tin: 12.93 µg/l Recommended: 0.50 µg/l
  • Aluminium: 60.45 µg/l Recommended: 0.10 µg/l

ATI recommendations:
  • Molybdän Recommended Dosage 1,00 ml 2
  • Vanadium Recommended Dosage 0,20 ml 1
  • Mangan Recommended Dosage 0,30 ml 1
  • Iod Important Dosage 0,10 ml 3

Questions:
  1. How do I remove Aluminium after I removed the Marine Pure Spheres? I read GFO. I have an Aquaforest Phosphate Minus on hand. Isn't this the same as GFO? but their website doesn't say it can remove aluminium. So is there something I can use to remove aluminium and tin? Cuprisorb?
  2. I have Aquaforest Component A B C, would I need to dose all 3 or I should just dose B and C since those are what recommended by ICP?

TIA

Attachments

• ICP Test.pdf
    129.3 KB · Views: 69

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first suggestion is a water change: 40-50% to start off, then 20% in a week. Had a similar problem and managed to contain it through this.

Remove the source of metals for sure. Make sure there is nothing else than the Marine blocks: rusty screws, anything that may have fallen in the sump/tank.

For dosage you can use many commercially available products, but you should adress the metal problem first.

Are you seeing coral death?

Hopefully more will comment to help you.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first suggestion is a water change: 40-50% to start off, then 20% in a week. Had a similar problem and managed to contain it through this.

Remove the source of metals for sure. Make sure there is nothing else than the Marine blocks: rusty screws, anything that may have fallen in the sump/tank.

For dosage you can use many commercially available source, but you should adress the metal problem first.

Are you seeing coral death?

Hopefully more will comment to help you.

Not direct coral death but I do have a chalice showing white on the outer rims. I think it's slowly dying.
I got a dragon soul favia that's just living.
But zoas looking fine, some growing faster than the others, I have a blasto wellsi that's looking fluffy.

So not all corals dead.

I am going to get cuprisorb today and find the possible culprit

I do wonder if it was my old mp10 wetside. But that was couple months ago.

I have some icp test kit coming again. But not from ati though. I think it might be my probe holder. We'll see. I am doing water change soon.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change.
Are you having issues? If not their is no need to change anything, imo.

Not direct issue. But I do wonder why my favia not growing and chalice showing white around the rim.
Also my corraline algae was in the back glass, now it's receding it seems

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not direct coral death but I do have a chalice showing white on the outer rims. I think it's slowly dying.
I got a dragon soul favia that's just living.
But zoas looking fine, some growing faster than the others, I have a blasto wellsi that's looking fluffy.

So not all corals dead.

I am going to get cuprisorb today and find the possible culprit

I do wonder if it was my old mp10 wetside. But that was couple months ago.

I have some icp test kit coming again. But not from ati though. I think it might be my probe holder. We'll see. I am doing water change soon.

Yes! I forgot I also used cuprisorb. Good point.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i found my culprit
Probe Holder

Will this produce aluminium and tin?

IMG_20210123_202004844.jpg

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do a few larger water changes. I'd say wait at least a month after your last water change before getting another test. That way if the problem still exists, the levels will be able to rise and the test will detect it. I saw the title and knew exactly what your test was going to say. Just search around and you'll see it's common. My first test showed the same thing. No need to remove the biological media. Thousands of people use them without ill effects. It's usually rust that is the culprit somewhere around the tank.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your aluminum levels are significant. 60 ug/L is 0.06 ppm, which is close to the limit of detection of ICP (see: https://reefs.com/magazine/chemistry-and-the-aquarium-aluminum-in-the-reef-aquarium/).

Well I just got another icp test done. Unfortunately not the same brand.
Tin is gone but aluminium is doubled.

But according to that article, I should be ok still.

I don't really see any issue with my tank. The soft corals I have are zoas and GSP.

I do wonder why my GSP is very slow growing.. when other ppl kept saying it will grow like weeds.

I need to start dosing minor elements. Specially iodine. Some of my zoas are closing up every other day.

I do have 1 other suspect. My screen top frame. That is made from aluminium. But its not in the water. Directly above it.. maybe some precipitation happen and make it wet and "dose" it with aluminum.

I might look into different kind of screen top frame

Attachments

• ICP 4-10.pdf
    150.6 KB · Views: 121

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a bunch of marine pure cubes to refugium to provide better home for pods and surface area for bacteria. 2 months later 4 acro frags and 3 stylo frags lost all tissue. System is 9 months old. The cubes made my nitrates drop from 4 ppm to 2 to 1 then .5, then .15. Trying to increase feeding to stabilize nitrate from 1 to 4 ppm. So nitrate drop with 8.7 dkh could have burned them up or something else in the cubes. I am waiting on my ICP to see what is in the water.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a bunch of marine pure cubes to refugium to provide better home for pods and surface area for bacteria. 2 months later 4 acro frags and 3 stylo frags lost all tissue. System is 9 months old. The cubes made my nitrates drop from 4 ppm to 2 to 1 then .5, then .15. Trying to increase feeding to stabilize nitrate from 1 to 4 ppm. So motrate drop with 8.7 dkh could have burned them up or something else in the cubes. I am waiting on my ICP to see what is in the water.
Marine pure said they changed thier formula to no longer include aluminum.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back