Got my fresh food autofeeder working today :).

OP
OP
S

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely like more details as far as the build went and how you inject food from the dosers into the pressurized return line?
Very straight forward. I used lots of unions in case I need to take things apart :). The outputs of each of the of dosing pumps join in to a single line that is connected to the injector part of the venturi injector.

The injector part of the venturi naturally creates a suction so as the food is pushed out, it is caught in to the water flow and in to the tank.

OP
OP
S

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did something similar. If you want to take it up a notch, add a few $35 mini magnetic stirrers underneath your bottles. Program them to turn on for 10 minutes before each feeding.

What type of valve did you use to inject into the pass-through pipe? Is it a solenoid?
Actually, if you use Reef Nutrition food, the food is in full suspension..so no need for magnetic stirrers.

The venturi creates a natural suction when water in running through the main line of the venturi injector. The food is sucked up through the venturi and in the to the flowing water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeder Diagram.jpg

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup @scottsweet, there are some similar threads where the effluent side of the feeding line (coming from the doser) just drained into the pipe, since the flow was low, any back pressure was stopped by the peristaltic pump, or at least thats how I recall it.

They also fed it to the return section near the intake of the main return which distributed the food through loclines in different parts of the tank.

Have you found that RN foods really stay in suspension, not just a little bit?

OP
OP
S

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup @scottsweet, there are some similar threads where the effluent side of the feeding line (coming from the doser) just drained into the pipe, since the flow was low, any back pressure was stopped by the peristaltic pump, or at least thats how I recall it.

They also fed it to the return section near the intake of the main return which distributed the food through loclines in different parts of the tank.

Have you found that RN foods really stay in suspension, not just a little bit?
Haven't found any issues so far. Yes..the RN food stays if full suspension. That is one of their unique advantages.

The food return is right near the main return line of the main tank so as the food is dispersed, it immediately goes in to the water column of the tank.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice setup there!! Which reef nutrition products? I’ve only used Phytofeast live and Oyster Feast, but getting great results and haven’t bothered to experiment.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice simple design. Is that the only return line to your tank? How much does it affect the water tem of your tank. I would think insulation around the pipes inside the refrigerator would be a good idea except for in the summer.

OP
OP
S

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice simple design. Is that the only return line to your tank? How much does it affect the water tem of your tank. I would think insulation around the pipes inside the refrigerator would be a good idea except for in the summer.
No. This line only has ~ 2 gal/hr. It doesn't affect the water temp at all. PVC is not a good conductor of cold and there is little water contact to be of consequence.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! Any special invertebrates you designed this system for? Seems like a way to keep some crinoids or scallops or other hard to keep filter feeders if they will accept those foods.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it might be an additional return line. I know PVC is not a good thermal conductor, but it will transfer some. Tank size will make a difference as to weather it is noticeable or not as well. Schedule 80 would reduce it as well for people with small tanks.

OP
OP
S

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! Any special invertebrates you designed this system for? Seems like a way to keep some crinoids or scallops or other hard to keep filter feeders if they will accept those foods.
No...just a normal reef...I have anthias...they are happy :). I will be setting up a feeding with Oyster Feast when the lights are off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back