Got my fresh food autofeeder working today :).

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my return line going through a small refrigerator with an injector. I feed each food 5ml, 2x per day.

autofeeder.jpg

Here is the design:

Feeder Diagram.jpg

Last edited:

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding? More details. How do you keep the line outside of fridge cold, I plan on setting up a nps tank and this might be what I was looking for.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely like more details as far as the build went and how you inject food from the dosers into the pressurized return line?

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an awesome idea. I would think the lines would need to be switched out or cleaned often.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!!

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post some close ups and more details of this build? Also, won’t the cold deteriorate the pump?

Dacotahk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. It seems that it would help with consistency, too.

Csr1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did something similar. If you want to take it up a notch, add a few $35 mini magnetic stirrers underneath your bottles. Program them to turn on for 10 minutes before each feeding.

What type of valve did you use to inject into the pass-through pipe? Is it a solenoid?

SWRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea need more info please, mostly need to now about the injector.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did something similar. If you want to take it up a notch, add a few $35 mini magnetic stirrers underneath your bottles. Program them to turn on for 10 minutes before each feeding.

What type of valve did you use to inject into the pass-through pipe? Is it a solenoid?

My guess would be no valve atall, the dosers prevent siphons and the return flow would provide enough pressure to keep the food in the line until the dosers turned on. so the only time food would enter the return would be when the dosers are pushing it in.

Small side benefit to this is it might help cool the water as well however minimal it would be. Glad to see this idea works well, it's been a thought of mine for my new build but wasn't sure it would work.

OP
OP
S

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding? More details. How do you keep the line outside of fridge cold, I plan on setting up a nps tank and this might be what I was looking for.
Sorry for the delayed response...I guess I missed the notification :). I am feeding Reef Nutrition food...

The food remains in the fridge. I drilled a hole through the sides and I split my return line with a gate valve. The lines go in to the air part of venturi line of a 1/2" venturi injector...similar to ones used for ozone.

The food remains cold. The amount of water going through the main part of the venturi injector is nominal...maybe 1-2 gallons per hour...just enough to generate a siphon on the venturi.

The feeder is set to feed 2x/day..5ml.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back