Got my ICP results in - what would worry you?

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got both of my ICP results in. Took longer then I would have liked and I had to call them up to ask about the 2nd result which took about a week longer then the first. Although both were sent in and received by them at the same time. About an hour after the call - miraculously the 2nd results were ready :)

Anyhow
Here are my results.

One is for NSW which I use for all my water changes.
The other is for my DT.
I find some values to be strange and maybe wrong.
The magnesium is lower in the NSW then it is in my DT? I don't dose.
The calcium is lower in the NSW then it is in my DT? Again, I don't dose.
And look at the Boron reading in the NSW results. That must be an error.

I'm really not very satisfied with their service considering the cost. Ill be shopping around a bit more for the next ICP tests.
This was not a great experience for the first time doing ICP tests like these.

I would have assumed they may have possibly switched up the results if it weren't for the phosphate readings.

I'm not sure how to get the salinity values from these results. Although I am sure both the DT and the NSW is at 1.026 using a Milwaukee digital refractometer, and the Apex salinity probe.

My phosphate seems quite high in my DT considering I have a low bio load and do water changes every 2-3 weeks, have a good working skimmer and a good working ATS.

NSW Rssults:
NSW_ICP_Results.jpeg

Display Tank results:
DT_Results.jpeg

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk and ca is only thing I really care about. I just do water changes and my tank is happy. All the other stuff is hype imho. You can pretty much keep a successful sps tank doing weekly water changes while dosing alk and ca as needed and never measure anything else.

4D18AB0E-5A09-45E4-90D2-CF8448BFBAE2.jpeg C6CFC46C-47BE-4083-AE7A-B94A4DA94253.jpeg

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk and ca is only thing I really care about. I just do water changes and my tank is happy. All the other stuff is hype imho. You can pretty much keep a successful sps tank doing weekly water changes while dosing alk and ca as needed and never measure anything else.

4D18AB0E-5A09-45E4-90D2-CF8448BFBAE2.jpeg C6CFC46C-47BE-4083-AE7A-B94A4DA94253.jpeg
I agree. But I was compelled to do these tests.
Your corals look great!

My biggest issue is my tank is mixed. SPS, LSP, Soft, Zoas.

I just started adding some SPS. I'm scared to turn my light up more although I know one SPS I got is best in 400+ PAR.
I'm keeping it at about 250-300 PAR hoping it will do ok. That is my only acro so far (tidal gardens confetti). It has not extended its polyps fully yet but its only been about 10 days. Looks healthy otherwise.

Others i added at the same time (Stylophora, Seriatopora) are fully open and look great.
The other SPS are more moderate light types.

I have had Monti's for a while which are all running out of space to spread they are growing so much and fast.
Everything else is super healthy. All my LPS im very happy about. They have been growing rapidly and are very healthy. Even a hammer that hosts a clown.

These tests were more for peace of mind and not about any particular issue I'm dealing with.
Not that many people use NSW like I do.

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Doing the test is cool to find out what’s up with the water. Personally the $ people use just to do the test, and as you experienced, get the results some many days to weeks later (making the results irrelevant), could be used to buy new salt and mix a HUGE batch of water and do a water change to “reset” the minor traces. For me personally, I’d rather just measure alk, ca, adjust as necessary and take all the $ That I’d have to invest in dosing pumps, trace addition, testing (with irrelevant results) and just buy a good salt mix while doing water changes every 2 weeks and a 35% change every 3 month. The only down side is the tank gets boring watching the success of the corals grow but I really don’t stress about it at all. I’m now at the point where the tank is so automatic that I only check the alk and ca when I do a water change.

on another note, I’d be curious if you sent in two identical water samples and compare the results. I’d almost bet you’d get different results.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 has been up for 2.5 yeaes now and I just sent the first ICP, Triton, test out. I did this just to see where I was at as my system is doing fine.
I was happy with the results as they were very close to my test kit results.
Quick turn arounnd as they are in CA.
Nothing was in the red and only a few elements were slightly higher than recommended.
I dose trace and was able to dial my dose back some. About two momths ago I upped my trace dose from 6ml to 8ml a day. Not sure why except I had been dosing 6ml a day for over a year. Im back to 6ml a day now per the results.
I do 1 12g WC every month.
Current pic. 95% acros.
20211231_145351.jpg

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple more pics to show apart from ca and alk adjustments, WC only tank works. All these corals were grown from 1/2-3/4 inch frags. Tank is around 1 year 7 months from dry rock. Obviously not all corals added at the same time.

281C2CAB-42F6-4E25-B377-72BAC29064D9.jpeg 6DCB02C0-BFAE-4D43-B8CC-2D4D95D04F35.jpeg 9916FA48-056B-454C-AD5B-9FCBA2394D4E.jpeg ADEC7F2F-2FB3-4051-82A0-8BAA54BFF5BD.jpeg 6320ADDB-0AC0-4AB9-97D6-ED83AE57E222.jpeg 18DA829C-C9CF-41ED-B5D1-F01C3FBC947B.jpeg 522B4BCA-416E-4532-B410-EA48DDFAE933.jpeg BA0D35F1-132A-4BB5-9871-90B2DD16DE22.jpeg 9661860E-88D3-46CB-86D7-E5A78DBC60FB.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose you are all correct. Unfortunately this is how I often learn. By trying things and usually wasting some money. :)
I tried the same company and only got the RODI results which I think are suspect anyway. I sent in the vials on Feb 7th. It was my firs ICP test experience and I am not thrilled as they don't respond to my emails etc. I do think that it would give me that warm and fuzzy feeling to have a complete ICP test result to point out if there is something happening in the tank that I'm not aware of or to validate my testing at home. I don't think I would do it all the time as it is not a cheap test. The other methodology of 2 part and good water changes/ salt mix seems to work for some and the corals look great too. I still want to do an ICP test and actually get the results. Maybe I will try the other 1.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back