Got my icp test results back. What should I do next?

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, just got my results back and a, looking for advice on what my next steps should be in terms of what to add to correct my water chemistry. Also as a side note, I’ll definitely be switching magnesium tests, as my salifert test read 1470 or so for mg, but icp shows waaay lower.

78B7FE77-BBE2-4045-BAF8-0E3B5D95B7A1.png 652597EF-8AEC-4D37-8637-FACDA79AB52A.png

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix do you use? Numbers don't look bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix do you use? Numbers don't bad.
I use Instant ocean reef crystals and the only additive I use is a capfull of brightwell trace about 1x a week, 10 percent water changes weekly. I’m planning to switch to tropic Marin coral pro salt in the future after watching the brs salt testing videos.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Numbers looking actualy good. Molybdenum usually associated with salt mix. Unless you have poor fish/coral response, I wouldn't be too concerned.
At least you got your results back. Triton just lost my water sample for the second time and last night stated it was the post office that lost it UNTIL I sent them proof it was delivered to their California Facility.
At $40 a pop for these tests, Im already sick of them.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add some iodide (no its not mis-spelled).
Also a bit of liquid mag would bring mag up a bit.
Not knowing what your Alk is at, its hard to decide on a salt mix that would help without causing more problems

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add some iodide (no its not mis-spelled).
Also a bit of liquid mag would bring mag up a bit.
Not knowing what your Alk is at, its hard to decide on a salt mix that would help without causing more problems
Alk is always 7-8 and won’t budge. Salinity 1.0255. All I use is kalkwasser in my auto and IO Reef crystals salt, a cap full of brightwell trace 1x a week which is way under their reccomended dose. I’m a little hesitant to add mag based on my salifert test showing 1450. I know icp tests aren’t always perfect either.

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers looking actualy good. Molybdenum usually associated with salt mix. Unless you have poor fish/coral response, I wouldn't be too concerned.
At least you got your results back. Triton just lost my water sample for the second time and last night stated it was the post office that lost it UNTIL I sent them proof it was delivered to their California Facility.
At $40 a pop for these tests, Im already sick of them.
That stinks! Icp analysis was super fast, I mailed the sample from nj to co on Monday and had results today when I checked. They are a little cheaper too.

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked mag again using the salifert kit super carefully and got 1290 so I guess I’ll slowly add a touch. If you guys think these results look good, maybe I should just stick with instant ocean reef crystals. I just hate the salt because it is dirty and make containers and pumps slimy. The tropic Marin pro wass super clean and parameters were pretty close to RC minus the junk, so I don’t think switching over 5g at a time will be too stressful.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1280 is natural seawater.........there is absolutely no reason or advantage to go above that.

I would just keep on keeping on with what you're doing/using. I don't see any change being advantageous to your reef.

OP
OP
Rubblereefer

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1280 is natural seawater.........there is absolutely no reason or advantage to go above that.

I would just keep on keeping on with what you're doing/using. I don't see any change being advantageous to your reef.
I only thought I would add some as the salifert test seems to be reading higher than the ICP test, and being a little over 1290 wouldnt hurt anything either way so I was going to shoot for like 1350 on the salifert kit

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank runs at 1475 to 1500 on mag because I have neo-mag in my calcium reactor along with reborn media . It will not hurt anything that im aware of

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto. I'd do nothing to your tank's water. There's a bit of trace tin and aluminum, but that's not uncommon. PVC contains a bit of tin, and aluminum can come from a lot of sources, perhaps the most common one being bio-blocks.

If you don't like Reef Crystals, you should be able to switch to any salt you prefer. However, it may be necessary to dose a 2-part solution; RC is pretty high in alkalinity and calcium when it's freshly mixed. So if you're changing a substantial amount of your tank's water with freshly-mixed RC, that may be supplying a fair amount of the tank's alk and Ca consumption.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@jason2459 did a ton of work comparing Triton tests with hobby kits and the hobby kits were very close to the same in most cases.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Salifert was used for Mg

I get the reasoning if you think the kit is off a bit............maybe jason will chime in.

To me, people get in trouble chasing or trying to fit their system into specific numbers these test companies tell you to fix.

Like I mentioned, I wouldn't change a thing unless a change will specifically improve your reef based on facts or at least before/after experiences from many reefers.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue. I’d think it is more accurate than a hobby kit but I could be wrong.
Without knowing the +/- it might not make sense to be chasing the number. Their website has no information, so we have no idea how accurate or precise they think this measurement is.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the corals look good I would do much of anything. Switching salt mix is not a bad ideal and if you go with certain salts that will slowly correct the low mag just with water changes. Tropic Marin Pro is great. I used it a long time ago when the price was more reasonable and I had no issues at all with it. Check out HW and Fritz salts. They are also high quality, mix clean, have good mag levels, alk is a bit higher than Tropic Marin Pro probably closer to what yout tank alk runs at.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back