Got my UV sterilizer, but now no room for bio pellets, can I put them somewhere else?

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I DID purchase the 25w Aqua UV sterilizer for my 90g fowlr. (Called the company and they reccomended the 25w for a 90g)
I also ordered a sicce pump (550gph rated)
And the pump is pretty large :( my sump is so tiny and I have an insump biopellet reactor (aquamaxx omega 1) there's no way I can fit the new pump for the uv in there with out taking out the reactor.
My question IS, can I bag up the bio pellets and put them in between my bio balls? I have heard of some people leaving a bag of pellets in a high water flow area. Will this work/be okay? I've included a pic of my sump and the spacing issues. Shame I can't fit it all in there

20210517_171811.jpg 20210517_171824.jpg 20210508_110455.jpg 20201228_185705.jpg

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv kills bacteria. Biopellets give bacteria a place to grow. What are you trying to achieve, and why are you trying to run both?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never bothered with reactors with pellets. I just throw them in a media bag and keep them in a strong flow area in my sump. Works the same.

I'm more baffled at those blue bioballs. Perhaps the most worthless invention in reefing history.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never bothered with reactors with pellets. I just throw them in a media bag and keep them in a strong flow area in my sump. Works the same.

I'm more baffled at those blue bioballs. Perhaps the most worthless invention in reefing history.
That's good to know, thanks! This makes me feel a lot better.
The bioballs came with the sump (7+ years running) and I got the transported tank last Sept so I have not ventured into replacing them/removing them yet. But I plan to but I know its going to be a slow process, I have 4 bags of Matrix on top of them

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv kills bacteria. Biopellets give bacteria a place to grow. What are you trying to achieve, and why are you trying to run both?
I've also read a similar argument about bacteria and UV, a lot of people actually say that it doesn't effect it because the bacteria colonizes on the pellets, not free floating and the UV only picks up free floating and will not harm bacteria colonized on pellets/rocks/ etc. Yes some bacteria will be destroyed but not the majority of it.
I'm trying to get rid of the bacteria bloom I have and reduce my algae a bit. I have the BP to help with my nitrates and very heavy bioload. In short, I plan to keep a heavy bioload and my regular filter stuff is just not cutting it. The bacteria bloom was initially caused by me removing export bioblocks that were disintegrating and now I can't get rid of the bacteria bloom and in general want crystal clear water, cause I'm anal about clear water lol I did an immense amount of research on biopellets and had like a 4page discussion here if they were a good choice and I decided to go with them for the extra nitrate support

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also read a similar argument about bacteria and UV, a lot of people actually say that it doesn't effect it because the bacteria colonizes on the pellets, not free floating and the UV only picks up free floating and will not harm bacteria colonized on pellets/rocks/ etc. Yes some bacteria will be destroyed but not the majority of it.
I'm trying to get rid of the bacteria bloom I have and reduce my algae a bit. I have the BP to help with my nitrates and very heavy bioload. In short, I plan to keep a heavy bioload and my regular filter stuff is just not cutting it. The bacteria bloom was initially caused by me removing export bioblocks that were disintegrating and now I can't get rid of the bacteria bloom and in general want crystal clear water, cause I'm anal about clear water lol I did an immense amount of research on biopellets and had like a 4page discussion here if they were a good choice and I decided to go with them for the extra nitrate support
Yes GIF

My bioload is light so I can't argue, doing both just seems counter-intuitive

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back