GOT THE GREEN LIGHT

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I was recently thinking of building an approximately 1400 gallon DT. Well after reading through a lot of fellow refers success and mishaps with plywood builds. I think we are just going to go around 440 gallons 120x36x24. I was looking at going with a Tsunami but I've read a lot about their bowing and stress cracking. I am going to see what theirs would cost if I had them construct it of 1". Has anyone used these aquariums and have any input? Or who would you have build one this size? Thank you for any input.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At 1 1/4” thickness- no complaints here
Utilize several returns with random flow nozzles

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will be seeing what they will charge for added thickness. Thank you and great build thread it was a pleasure reading. Beautiful tank.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really just want to build the 1400 but I'm scared of the acrylic not bonding as I have read on many of the plywood builds but there are also plenty that have seemed to work just fine. I'm so torn. Not in a rush, I want to be happy with what I choose is all. I have also been thinking that if I hold off and do the giant tank then I will just use glass instead, as I will never be moving it again. Our new house is actually being planned around this new Display. So many choices lol.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go 1400 gallons what tank dimensions were you planning? The main restriction on glass is tank height. If you are thinking of a plywood build the height is also the main concern as beyond 36" tall plywood tanks tend to have more failures. You can also look at hybrid options. I am building a 4200 gallon display with a plywood/fiberglass/epoxy bottom with glass sides but the tank will only have 32" of water and 34" tall glass.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 acrylic tanks from Fish Tanks Direct… 500g 6’x5’x27” and 200g 5’x30”x27” about 5 (?) years ago… super happy with them and would order again without hesitation.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the big one.
Just went through your build thread can't wait to see it in the works. I do think I'm going to start on the big one, at least start getting pieces gathered for it.
The trick with this build is that it will be viewed from all sides with a center overflow. This will be sitting on a 30" base that will be on the foundation slab. This will completely be constructed around the overflow the drains and returns will all actually be under the concrete and into another room or a second bay in the garage. I will be using no quick connections or bulkheads going through the bottom because if there is ever an issue with one of those parts I'd have no way of getting to it. Or at least this has been my thoughts. I figured I'd do all plumbing up through the center of the floor then build the base and bottom of the tank around it. 1 center safety 3" drain, 2 2" drains will give me 5400 gph and then 4 1" returns one of each side of the overflow. I'm also going to install 1" returns at each corner of the display to help with movement these will be driven by a second pump that will similar to a surge pump only coming on a few times throughout the day for however long I decided to run it. Will also work as a great back up because I'll set it to run constantly if the main return fails. I want to run all the plumbing, then build my base. The bottom of tank will be 3/4 ran one direction on the base then a second 3/4 running the opposite. Then I will begin construction of the sides and all the bracing. I have been reading tons of plywood builds taking in ideas and I have came to the idea of this. On top of my base the perimeter will framed in with a 4x4 border inside which I will be able to hide under the sand. I am going to have 1' triangled corner these will be framed with 2x4s this should give me a smoother flow of water, plus this is where the other returns will be. The top will have stagger seamed 4x6s all the way around with 2 layers of 3/4 covering it to act as euro-bracing so that I don't need anything crossing the center. All plumbing will be coated in fiberglass where it comes through the base, same as all corners. Everything will be coated with multiple coats of Pond Shield. I will install the overflow after all this because I want to frame around the plumbing with 2x4 where it will be located then afterwords I can just install it with silicone to hold it in place, I just want to be sure all the plumbing is sealed first.

Keep your thoughts coming. I love ideas and any help or advice is greatly appreciated. This is only planning stages, and as like everything else in the hobby planning and patience is an eaiser road to success.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go 1400 gallons what tank dimensions were you planning? The main restriction on glass is tank height. If you are thinking of a plywood build the height is also the main concern as beyond 36" tall plywood tanks tend to have more failures. You can also look at hybrid options. I am building a 4200 gallon display with a plywood/fiberglass/epoxy bottom with glass sides but the tank will only have 32" of water and 34" tall glass.
Alex, I have to say your last build is what got me wanting this. I watched all your steps to the horror of taking it down. I know it was for a good reason but ugh. I have a 24" 200 gallon system now and I think 24 height will be fine for what I'm planning. 7 feet across is going to be hard enough at this depth. 24" is actually going to be the glass so I will probably go with 30 on the tank but only 2" of water over the glass and I'm doing a 4" sand base so I should still be about 26" of water depth. Let me know any pointers please. They are greatly appreciated and taken highly into consideration.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex, I have to say your last build is what got me wanting this. I watched all your steps to the horror of taking it down. I know it was for a good reason but ugh. I have a 24" 200 gallon system now and I think 24 height will be fine for what I'm planning. 7 feet across is going to be hard enough at this depth. 24" is actually going to be the glass so I will probably go with 30 on the tank but only 2" of water over the glass and I'm doing a 4" sand base so I should still be about 26" of water depth. Let me know any pointers please. They are greatly appreciated and taken highly into consideration.

Teardown was not easy. After all that hard work taking a saw to the tank was hard. I think in the end though it will be worth it. I think the best advice is take your time. I have spend months planning my new display tank and even now in construction I have made changes to the plans to reinforce or change designs to build a better setup. Don't compromise your access with an aquarium this large you must be able to reach all of the equipment easily and would avoid an under tank sump if possible to help with access.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep following, I can't wait to to how things end up. I will not rush this that is for sure. I have at least 6 months before we even start on the new house so plenty of time to plan. Also no sump underneath, only the plumbing and that's going to go through the floor either to the garage or a dedicated room. Probably an extra bay in the garage.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've found my storage containers. It will be one heck of a mixing station.
holly madison crystal hefner GIF

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220116-184648_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116-184648_Chrome.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 29

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back