Got these on live rock

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed these starting to grow on live rock. This image is very zoomed in, they are about the size of a tip of a pencil.

Almost look like tiny feather dusters housings.

Any ideas? I have about 15 on one rock, and noticed a few others around the tank.

IMG_9907.jpg

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed these starting to grow on live rock. This image is very zoomed in, they are about the size of a tip of a pencil.

Almost look like tiny feather dusters housings.

Any ideas? I have about 15 on one rock, and noticed a few others around the tank.

IMG_9907.jpg
I can't make them but sounds like feather duster worms.

Better pic needed.

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was going to get a better picture, and zoomed all the way in...and on some of them there is a tentacle type translucent worm-ish thing coming out of them.

They are super small, this is zoomed in 12x.. its a bit out of focus, cant get better pick, but you can see the long tentacle coming out of it.

IMG_9917.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a vermatid snail. Is it a tube with a stringy mucus-like net shooting out?

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a vermatid snail. Is it a tube with a stringy mucus-like net shooting out?
I wouldn't call it a net, its a single strand, or I think out of one I saw two strands. I cant see the strands in the tank, only when I zoom in with camera.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call it a net, its a single strand, or I think out of one I saw two strands. I cant see the strands in the tank, only when I zoom in with camera.
Google “vermatid snail net” and check images. See if it looks like what you see.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
pic a little fuzzy but either a tube worm or vermetid. Super glue over the top of the tubes will stop the spreading .
they Are harmless

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I am going with a Spionid Worm.

After must comparison, I feel it is this.
1565812455686.png

Thanks all for getting me on the right track !
If it is those guys, they are harmless, but their strings may irritate corals to the point of them staying closed. It per-say, does not hurt the coral, but is like that little kid annoying his sister with "I am touching you, I am touching you", so the coral stays closed up.

OP
OP
T

Tommy_G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is those guys, they are harmless, but their strings may irritate corals to the point of them staying closed. It per-say, does not hurt the coral, but is like that little kid annoying his sister with "I am touching you, I am touching you", so the coral stays closed up.

Lol... no corals yet til I do a light, might have to tone them down if I get too many.

Thanks for info :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back