Got two new clams and have a few questions

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top to bottom pics: acclimating to show new shell growth, fully open at the LFS and now in the tank (30 mins in). My questions are where I have them now a lot of my fish like to swim so their shadow will make them react sometimes. Is this stressful and will the repeated shadowing and reacting kill them eventually? How long should I wait to start moving them up higher in the tank? Its a lagoon so its only 12" deep anyways and I have a hydra 26 so there should be enough light as is right now. When placed in the rock work can they be at an angle or should they be as level as possible? Finally how do they look overall? they're pretty small ~2.5" but I am really hoping I can help them make it :) they're confirmed aquacultured also which I know can make a difference. Thanks!
IMG_7512.jpg
IMG_7518.JPG
IMG_7517.jpg

IMG_7513.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clams! They will eventually get comfortable with the fish. Only being a 12 inch tank id only go halfway up over the next couple of weeks for when they closr forcefully they might spurt water right out of the tank.
When placing i like to let them attatch to a rock and then move the rock. They will prefer to have thier inhalent siphon down lower that the exhalent. Hope this helps

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look pretty good. Being only 12" deep tank, I'd move them slowly but you might not need too. Try placing the clam on a seperate rock on the bottom and let them attach which can make moving them easier in the future. While they might be reacting to fish swimming over them, in time the clams will react less to the fish.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look pretty good. Being only 12" deep tank, I'd move them slowly but you might not need too. Try placing the clam on a seperate rock on the bottom and let them attach which can make moving them easier in the future. While they might be reacting to fish swimming over them, in time the clams will react less to the fish.
I agree. I see some nice new shell growth. Beautiful clams by the way!

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice! I have put them on separate small flat rocks to allow them to attach so it will be easier to move them if I desire, I kinda like them in the sand at the moment but we will see if that changes. As with all new pieces in my aquarium the pistol shrimp took a liking to one of them and kept dragging it off the rock so this is my solution until they attach lol:
IMG_7523.jpg

TweakyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful clams mate! Definitely have them attached to a small rock so you can move them around to your desire. I made the mistake of sitting him on a huge chunk of my live rock and now he is permanently there (lucky its a nice spot however). I got my Tridacna Crocea aka Boring Clam about 4 months ago and can say with certainty that the clam does relax once its familiar with your fishes shadows. Word of warning though, there are quite a few fish that enjoy tormenting the mantle. For example 2 months ago I had to return my Bicolor Blenny as he would aggressively attack the clams flesh, causing it to constantly retract and close up for the majority of the day. As soon as he was gone the clam was one happy chappy. Unfortunately I'm now experiencing the same thing, far less brutal though, with my Yellow Clown Goby. He doesn't attack it anywhere near as often and with such force as the Blenny did, though its still enough to keep him slightly retracted. Luckily with time it seems the Goby is getting less and less interested (probably because he is getting more comfortable in the tank and starting to eat like pig). So just watch out for those little nippers as clams can attract that sort of behavior.

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be settling in well and are more open than yesterday and haven't fallen over in a while so I am hoping they're setting on to the rocks! As @TweakyReef said I have read about some nippers, no one has tried yet in the tank but that doesn't mean it wont happen! We shall see...
IMG_7525.jpg

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful clams mate! Definitely have them attached to a small rock so you can move them around to your desire. I made the mistake of sitting him on a huge chunk of my live rock and now he is permanently there (lucky its a nice spot however). I got my Tridacna Crocea aka Boring Clam about 4 months ago and can say with certainty that the clam does relax once its familiar with your fishes shadows. Word of warning though, there are quite a few fish that enjoy tormenting the mantle. For example 2 months ago I had to return my Bicolor Blenny as he would aggressively attack the clams flesh, causing it to constantly retract and close up for the majority of the day. As soon as he was gone the clam was one happy chappy. Unfortunately I'm now experiencing the same thing, far less brutal though, with my Yellow Clown Goby. He doesn't attack it anywhere near as often and with such force as the Blenny did, though its still enough to keep him slightly retracted. Luckily with time it seems the Goby is getting less and less interested (probably because he is getting more comfortable in the tank and starting to eat like pig). So just watch out for those little nippers as clams can attract that sort of behavior.
Very interesting, a clown goby nipping on a clam, I know they may nip corals. Just goes to show you, you never know.

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did u purchase your clams from? They look nice! Keep us posted how they do.
I got them from my LFS who never ever carries clams but has top notch stuff otherwise. Asked them to special order from their usual vendor for me and made sure they were specified aquacultured thanks to the advice from @DSC reef .

TweakyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, a clown goby nipping on a clam, I know they may nip corals. Just goes to show you, you never know.

I was shocked when I first saw him do it! Especially considering I purchased him after returning the first clam nipping culprit :( This must be one tasty clam unfortunately.

I just need to keep a close eye, if the clam starts to stress too much the Clown Goby goes back to the LFS. Crossing my fingers keeping him well fed will make him lose interest!

TweakyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture I just took of the cute little booger perching on the clam. Haven't seen him nip for over 24 hours now, just perch, which is an improvement!

IMG_20190503_111557.jpg
IMG_20190503_111302.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the perching will annoy a clam enough not to open fully and eventually perish...mr goby might have to go...

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture I just took of the cute little booger perching on the clam. Haven't seen him nip for over 24 hours now, just perch, which is an improvement!

IMG_20190503_111557.jpg
IMG_20190503_111302.jpg
We have had our lightning maroon pretend our clam was a anemone. Never hurt or bothered our clam. That's a cute little goby

Last edited:

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And i on the other end have had a midas blenny sit on a clam repetitively until it killed it... up to you...but id watch its health closely...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back