Got two potters wrasses. Both male... (video)

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered two potters wrasses The minute I could find some online. I know they have abysmal shipping history and are hard to acclimate and feed so I decided to get two. They seem to have shipped great and are large and active. Never buried except at night. And are eating live pods and some frozen food already.

The only problem is I think they’re both males. But despite that they seem to have arranged to share the same cave in the tank. It seems like they shouldn’t get along. Does anyone know what’s going on and if I should be making arrangements to rehome one of them if aggression is inevitable?

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get them from? They are gorgeous!

I’ve always thought they were just one step above petsmart but saltwaterfish.com was the only place that had them. I am very pleasantly surprised!

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using 2:23 to go of off, but that looks to be a female, but im having a hard time do to shadows. But the blacker back end looks like a female. Could be female going male? Could be two males, hard to tell with shadows.

male potter
male potter.jpg

Female potter
female potter.jpg

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’m wrong and they’ve always been a great supplier.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to have a male and a female. Im using 2:23 to go of off, but that looks to be a female, but im having a hard time do to shadows. But the blacker back end looks like a female.

male potter
male potter.jpg

Female potter
female potter.jpg

That was the reference I found too. I found it in a forum where people were saying that they got the bright red spot on the top fin when they turned male. But looking from their profile the male seems to have a more rounded head which is consistent with the difference between the two fish I have being male and female.

If that’s the case I am soooooo lucky.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the reference I found too. I found it in a forum where people were saying that they got the bright red spot on the top fin when they turned male. But looking from their profile the male seems to have a more rounded head which is consistent with the difference between the two fish I have being male and female.

If that’s the case I am soooooo lucky.
Like I said its hard to tell since the shadows. If they both are males, they may not fight for awhile or at all since they are both new and haven't built up any territory, you also have quite a few fast moving fish that might keep them occupied and a lot of places to hide. So fingers crossed in the worst case. :)

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are not aggressive with each other you should be good.
They look great.
It looks like you feed your fish well. That should help.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are not aggressive with each other you should be good.
They look great.
It looks like you feed your fish well. That should help.

Yeah. I ordered lots of live amphipods and copepods and some feeder shrimp just to be safe. After releasing them onto the tank I went to feed raw table shrimp to my white ribbon eel like always do. Some pieces of shrimp floated away and the potters wrasses and my tamarin wrasse went mad over it. If only I had known it was so simple!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any peace between the 2 will be short lived. While getting used to a new environment and overcoming all that comes with collection and shipping they have bigger concerns than each other. As they settle, a rival male will become a bigger concern, and will be dealt with accordingly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back