GoVols Red Sea S-400

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by GoVols, Jun 3, 2017.

1. GoVols

GoVols Cobb / Webb - 1989 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Thanks!!
    He's real tiny, but a happy little guy.

I know your hitting the books... ;Bookworm, but how far out would your Reefer 35o be?

:)

2. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 SCAA Member Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Absolutely gorgeous pics!

And I’m sorry about the Achilles:(

I hope the rest of your tank keeps your spirits up.

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Your tank looks amazing! It's an inspiration Freddie, I love seeing your pics. Sorry about the Achilles my friend. That's one fish my wife and I are nervous about trying. It's her favorite fish so we will give it a go. Again, tank is simply amazing.

4. elisa h

elisa h Active Member Tampa Bay Reef Keepers

It’s filling up as we speak

5. elisa h

elisa h Active Member Tampa Bay Reef Keepers

6. PanchoG

PanchoG Well-Known Member Reef Tank 365

Great pic!

7. tripdad

tripdad Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Beautiful tank and the photos a superb! Corals look super healthy.

8. fabutahoun

fabutahoun Angels and Acros R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Tank Looking Great, very nice photos. and I am sorry about your Achilles.

@tsm corals , Great customer service and amazing fish selection. I always see Facebook posts for some of my dream fish, The problem is my location.

Freddie, If you are getting a replacement Achilles tang , I suggest to setup a QT or Introduction Tank, you can start a 20 gallons with hang on filter with water and live rock from your main tank. also a hang on skimmer will be good to add but not required, you will need to make frequent water change anyway. you need to keep a close eye on water parameters specially ammonia, and I usually dose MB7 bacteria and seachem prime if needed. Keep the fish in there for few weeks and heavy feed it until it is fat as a pig then add it to display.

If you can't have a separate tank, you can add a large Acclimation box and keep the fish there for few weeks. By isolating the fish it will take food without any competition from other fish in your tank. you need to fat up the Achilles before you add it to your tank to give it some kind of buffer until its fully adjusted.

If I were you, I would get some kind of angel instead :D, Genicanthus's , scribbled , Bandit or conspicuous etc.. ;Drool;Drool;Drool

edit: or Masked Angel :D :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  9. Sarah24!

Sarah24! Valuable Member R2R Secret Santa

Hello,

@GoVols sooooo sorry it has taking me forever to catch up on your thread. Soo sorry about your Achilles tang I would
    Have been heart broken. Your tank looks gorgeous and the pics are amazing looking. Curious do you just use a normal iPhone etc camera or something designed for it. Hope you had a great Xmas and New Years I promise to keep up :).

Cheers
    Sarah

10. SPR1968

SPR1968 Fish & Coral Addict! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 UK Reef Club Member Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Great pictures Freddie!

And sorry to hear about the Achilles

I’ve just purchased an acclimatisation/fish trap box and will use this to add all new fish to my system as what @fabutahoun is a really good idea, especially with an established system.

11. najer

najer Valuable Member

Sorry to hear about the achilles Freddie, the tank is looking great. :)

12. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman "Put your gold money where your love is” R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Great pictures. Loved the eel eating.

13. Crabby48

Crabby48 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Sorry about the Achilles. Tank looks great and so do the pictures

14. 12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Great reef tank. I just stumbled my way to your build thread from the reef 365 thread. Your reef looks very purposeful, like you planned and then actually followed said plan. Big thumbs up!

najer, PanchoG, GoVols and 6 others like this.
  15. GoVols

GoVols Cobb / Webb - 1989 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Guys,
    Thanks a lot and I know it's been awhile.

@Sarah24!
    I've been using the Pixel - 2 cell phone and some of the shots I use the AqauriClip
    https://www.aquariclip.com/

@Fudsey
    Helped me:
    If you don't have the clip on go into Cloudy Mode / If you have the clip on, use Auto Mode.

@elisa h
    Hope your new Reefer 350 is doing well... :)

16. GoVols

Well,
    Update time...

Cal Reactor / GLA regulator

I've been struggling with the GLA regulator for about an year... ;Wacky

Finally took the time to get a hold of GLA.

They showed me how to clean their built in check valve, but most of the issue was from the head pressure from the Sicce feed pump.

Put on an RO/DI cutoff valve and choked back the flow a tiny amount before it hits the cal reactor. Then the needle valve at the end holds the tiny stream. Now, the regulator has been rock solid and I can hold the bubble count now matter where I set it.

(lol)
    Head pressure from the Sicce... :p

Glad to have that in the rear view mirror... :D

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  17. GoVols

@tsm corals
    Update...

(lol)
    Not only did Ray send us a Juvi Goldflake, but he sent an replacement Achilles tang too... ;Woot ;Woot

Both fish are doing great.

The Goldflake eats nori and LRS.

The Achilles is eating nori on a clip.

Both these guys are happy and bold. They swim up front and are not shy by any means.

They fit right in, and the S-400 is at total peace. It's still an Achilles but I could not be any happier!!

FWIW:
    The Goldflake is Angelia's favorite fish of all time... :)

Ray,
    Thanks so much and you did too much. I'm truly humbled.

I'm sold on TSM with @justingraham

Freddie

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  18. HolisticBear

HolisticBear Valuable Member R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Major props to @tsm corals, world-class act.

I got another DOA from Diver's Den with a Fathead Anthia, so I'm done for good. Will definitely do TSM.

Glad you're feeling good about the Calc Reactor!

We are gonna need some fish pics soon :)

19. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

That's amazing and thanks for sharing. They are on our list now.

20. GoVols

(lol)
    DSC,
    I had no clue... :confused: Ray ( at TSM Corals) was shipping another Achilles too... ;Wideyed

He wanted to try again, and not matter how it goes, this fish is where I was at, six weeks into my last Achilles.

Hoping for the best and will try to post some shots by this weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted