prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jsker,

(Lol) Ghosting is good. :)
I hope that you and the family are all doing fine.

With the Vee Gee:
I'm getting my ducks in a row with the best testing kits and meters before I go back to the Fritz RPM salt mix.

Then, I will mix a fresh batch of the RPM to 1.025 and test all the big-3.

Then, I will send part of that mixing brew to Triton labs.

I love the Red Sea "Blue Bucket" and it's spot on to their "My Batch" report but I've been dosing it up while mixing to match my display.

I've used IO most of my life an have no problems with that salt either but right now I'm dosing the ABC+ powder and the high alk in the IO with my big water changes knocks the ABC+ powder (dosing) out of rhythm for a day or two.

The one box of RPM that I used nailed my displays big-3 at 1.025sg and I could just keep plugging away with the ABC+ powder without modifying the mix.

So, I want to do a Triton test on the RPM and I can double check all my test kits too.

Shaun at Fritz is always trying to improve on that mix.
So lets see a full blow Triton report on it. :D

Freddie
I would love to see the numbers also Freddie, great idea [emoji1]

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You, Jackie

Never seen a Triton lab report on that mix.

So (LOL)... Let's do it!!!

:)

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freddie,

You're going to order the salt from Premium Aquatics or can you get Fritz locally?

I also like the quality of blue bucket and lower params is better than high, but if you can avoid dosing, that does seem an improvement.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freddie,

You're going to order the salt from Premium Aquatics or can you get Fritz locally?

I also like the quality of blue bucket and lower params is better than high, but if you can avoid dosing, that does seem an improvement.
I'm going to get it from PA.

The Fritz has not made it in the Nashville area yet.

I think you can buy it threw ebay from PA and get free shipping.

The last time that I bought it. I used PA's website but I needed other stuff and it took it over $75 for free shipping.

When the price is right, I always use PA. Their free shipping always comes to our home in two days. :)

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael
I checked the Vee Gee this morning and it held it's calibration.
Have not seen that from the ole Red Sea meter in a long time.

I can't say the Vee Gee is the best or better than other meters.
It's was just way over due to retire the old Red Sea meter.

I was already on the market for a new meter and all the sudden that thread got going on Randy's forum.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frtiz

fc1803fb41a3ae800ab105b0934e0286.jpg

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just didn't like the box came with one large bag. If I buy a box I'd rather have 4 bags that is easier to mix up if not using it all at once and easier to use all at once.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the kh is off along with the trace elements
kH is not part of the ICP testing but something they tried doing themselves. My test results for alk was higher but it was low if I remember right around 7dkh. I have to look back on my notes. Its part of a new big round of testing I did I still need to create a thread for.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So jason u said slightly lower what did u mean by that? As now u have me thinking more about this
I find ICP-OES no better then what's possible with hobby test kits at home. For some reason that upsets people that I have that opinion but also all my testing has shown that as well.

All my testing threads show salinity is consistently calculated at least slightly lower. My saltmix parameter thread even more so. Some by a salinity of 1-2 and some more.

There's a post on this page where I also quote Randy's personal experience with using ICP-OES to try and determine Ca from a seawater sample. He found it was only reliable with in a +/- 40ppm no better then an API test kit. My experience with the same sample sent to multiple places and the same place was about the same variance. That's a major element in seawater and will greatly change what the calculated salinity is along with the same kind of error capabilities of the other elements so I would not use a calculated ICP test to calibrate a refractometer.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/saltmix-parameters-bring-on-the-test-results.233233/page-9

Edit: post 175

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kH is not part of the ICP testing but something they tried doing themselves. My test results for alk was higher but it was low if I remember right around 7dkh. I have to look back on my notes. Its part of a new big round of testing I did I still need to create a thread for.
Jason,
Thank You
Shaun's been tweaking the RPM and he's raised the dkh up too.

I agree that it should come in 4 smaller bags like IO and the RPM bag is very tightly cut with no slack in it.

I think, I still have an old empty 22o gallon bucket of the "Salinity" salt mix in the garage and will pour it in there. (Best salt buckets on the market)
If not I'll use an old Reef Crystals bucket and can pour some of the 205 gallon RPM bag into that bucket. (Love how lid on the RC is formed)

I'm going to mix the RPM to 1.025sg and we'll get a new report from Triton.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has the Kessil a80Led/T5 Hybird been doing, with another sps???

Well, I only pushed the 4 T5's for about a week. It was paling out the re-born monti. so I went back to pushing the two 22k t5's and it darken'd back up.

This is the big SPS on top. The first shot shows the recession (at the bottom) that came from the coral dip or from me dragging it around to find the right spot.

The recession did come to a halt (for now) and has gotten better with new tissue growth.

I hope you can see the new grow branch split offs
. It is also encrusting on the backside of the old base.

It did come with a tiny crab inside of it and it cleans on it's polyps all day long.
The crab is so little that I can not identify the species but part of it is in one of the shots and it's a dark blue color.

Sorry for the picture quality. The SPS is really dark green.

So, For the future growth record, this is the big green sps.

0813171919.jpg

0813171919a.jpg

0813171920.jpg

0813171922.jpg

0813171924.jpg

Tiny crab that lives inside this coral
0813171922a.jpg

Regards, GoVols

Last edited:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has the Kessil a80Led/T5 Hybird been doing, with another sps???

Well, I only pushed the 4 T5's for about a week. It was paling out the re-born monti. so I went back to pushing the two 22k t5's and it darken'd back up.

This is the big SPS on top. The first shot shows the recession (at the bottom) that came from the coral dip or from me dragging it around to find the right spot.

The recession did come to a halt (for now) and has gotten better with new tissue growth.

I hope you can see the new grow branch split offs
. It is also encrusting on the backside of the old base.

It did come with a tiny crab inside of it and it cleans on it's polyps all day long.
The crab is so little that I can not identify the species but part of it is in one of the shots and it's a dark blue color.

Sorry for the picture quality. The SPS is really dark green.

So, For the future growth record, this is the big green sps.

0813171919.jpg

0813171919a.jpg

0813171920.jpg

0813171922.jpg

0813171924.jpg

Tiny crab that lives inside this coral
0813171922a.jpg

Regards, GoVols

It looks really good Freddie :) I could never keep those little Acro crabs alive. I don't know if it's because of my wrasses or because of the blue legs. But somebody always killed them.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GoVols update for the day...

Welp, Work has been slamming so been putting in some long days.

Have noticed that the diatom's are finally fading away after changing the filters and resin in the RO/DI unit.

Have a big order coming in tonight from BRS and will post the goodies later. :D

Forgot :confused: to order some RS "Reef Spec" carbon... for what ever comes up.
:(

Regards, GoVols

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GoVols update for the day...

Welp, Work has been slamming so been putting in some long days.

Have noticed that the diatom's are finally fading away after changing the filters and resin in the RO/DI unit.

Have a big order coming in tonight from BRS and will post the goodies later. :D

Forgot :confused: to order some RS "Reef Spec" carbon... for what ever comes up.
:(

Regards, GoVols

I have a shipment as well the highlight of mine is a flipper scrapper then it's boring rodi stuff

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back