NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd get an alert every time a watched thread was updated, but that doesn't happen.

Great tip on the watched threads tab! You can also use that view in the browser and I see build threads that were updated today, yet there is no alert anywhere when do a "Show All" on my Alerts and scroll back o_O

EDIT: The Watched Threads seems to be the ticket!

Had this issue too, noted here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reasons-one-would-not-get-an-alert.357393/

Watched Threads was the answer to "resetting" them.

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@elisa h
Have you been doing good?

Freddie

I have been doing good thanks for asking! I’m having a little problem with bubble algae at the moment though. It seems to jump around to all my frag plugs and annoy coral but has stayed away from my rock so far. I’m still jealous of your regal angel [emoji6] I think I’ll have to get one when I upgrade tanks!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing good thanks for asking! I’m having a little problem with bubble algae at the moment though. It seems to jump around to all my frag plugs and annoy coral but has stayed away from my rock so far. I’m still jealous of your regal angel [emoji6] I think I’ll have to get one when I upgrade tanks!
Glad your doing well.

Testing out Vibrant for bubble algae right now. Nothing to report, one way or the other, but we're just starting.

The Regal is a beautiful fish that has the personality to match. Still got a ways to go, to say that she's home free, but she's eating very well and seems really health.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fudsey @SPR1968 @bif24701

Guys,
Need your thoughts:

Tomorrow will be one week since the first dose of Vibrant.
I'm starting to see the Bubble Algae break away in strings and single bubbles, but I'm not sure if the Purple Tang is pulling it off :confused:

Do you think the Vibrant is breaking down the Bubble Algae or do think the tang is just pulling it off?

Thanks, Freddie

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang never touched the stuff. I did notice them getting clear and start falling off though.

Have they changed any color?
Maybe a tad of color, but not totally paled out.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would believe that it is working then. Just keep an eye out for cyano. Darn stuff loves Vibrant for some reason. Low nutrients maybe? Dunno

I think one theory is that Vibrant consumes NO3 in a higher ratio that the normal NO3/PO4 coral consumption ratio. Cyano often occurs when PO4 > NO3. The dying algae can also be breaking down and releasing sugars such that the dying algae is effectively carbon dosing your tank (encouraging bacteria and also cyano).

Vibrant killing all the algae then cyano appears is a common pattern. Since @GoVols doesn't have much algae in his tank + healthy fish population, I'm thinking he's set up for success more than most Vibrant users.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one theory is that Vibrant consumes NO3 in a higher ratio that the normal NO3/PO4 coral consumption ratio. Cyano often occurs when PO4 > NO3. The dying algae can also be breaking down and releasing sugars such that the dying algae is effectively carbon dosing your tank (encouraging bacteria and also cyano).

Vibrant killing all the algae then cyano appears is a common pattern. Since @GoVols doesn't have much algae in his tank + healthy fish population, I'm thinking he's set up for success more than most Vibrant users.
Guys,
Sorry, we stepped out and had "Sir Pizza" with our grand daughters :D

It does seem that the BA could be breaking down.

At this point no signs of cyano, but I don't carbon dose.

Filter sock has been a little dirtier, so the Vibrant might be cleaning some of the low flow areas of the live rock.

Regal Angel is doing great and has not eaten any sponges with-in the caves of the live rock... yet ;Woot

Fatheads are staying open and (lol) that will be the last time that we stuff it full of pellets.

We also dropped the KZ Genii and one B+ T5. So back to pushing two B+'s with the Kessils.
Got to love, trying :confused: to keeping all corals happy in an mixed reef, when it comes to lighting???

Thanks for tagging and the next Vibrant dose will be on Tuesday evening.

We'll just let the Vibrant play out, one day at a time, like we did the nudi's.

:)

Last edited:

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fatheads :p

EDIT: That seems to be some immediate positive news with Vibrant. I naturally assumed it would take some time, but bam. Nice.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fatheads :p

EDIT: That seems to be some immediate positive news with Vibrant. I naturally assumed it would take some time, but bam. Nice.
You caught me :D

(lol)
I'm stuck with Flatheads in my mind ;Oldman

I hope it's working and I'm catching BA in the overflow's teeth.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vibrant worked on my green hair algea immediately (like within a week) and it basically just fell off so it’s probably doing the same for you.

I seem to remember the nutrient levels went up and filters went a bit dirty/green as it was dying off.

As I said above, I only dosed 2 doses of it over 4 weeks, and then stopped. It did make the tank spotless but I had an issue with it killing the Elegance corals, and to be honest I had sorted the cause of the algea (raised phosphate) so it wasn’t coming back, I just used Vibrant to get rid of what was there quickly.

Some people use it as a maintenance dose, but Freddie I wouldn’t think you would need to do this in your tank as it’s relatively ‘clean’ anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vibrant worked on my green hair algea immediately (like within a week) and it basically just fell off so it’s probably doing the same for you.

I seem to remember the nutrient levels went up and filters went a bit dirty/green as it was dying off.

As I said above, I only dosed 2 doses of it over 4 weeks, and then stopped. It did make the tank spotless but I had an issue with it killing the Elegance corals, and to be honest I had sorted the cause of the algea (raised phosphate) so it wasn’t coming back, I just used Vibrant to get rid of what was there quickly.

Some people use it as a maintenance dose, but Freddie I wouldn’t think you would need to do this in your tank as it’s relatively ‘clean’ anyway.
Shaun,
Thanks for your input and incite.

We'll keep our eyes out for cyano and if it comes on, then we'll deal with it after the Vibrant.
It's time to change out the Rowa and we'll do that this evening.

Should :confused: have some random shots of the S-400 this evening, but not of the bubble algae. (lol) Their stuck on the cell phone and my wife is taking the phone into Verizon :)

Freddie

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait..... how do you keep your back wall so clean? You have that sump compartment there so you can't use the flipper. Do you use a razor blade scraper and take the canopy off???
(lol)
When it was full of coralline and Angelia wanted off the back glass. I used one side of the flipper and went thru 3-4 steel blades :eek: :eek: :eek:

I just use an white scrubbie right now about every two weeks.

So I do have to get wet on that one and one of the reasons that I did not buy the S-500 :D

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O-Tay...

First two shots are right before the first dose of Vibrant
0226181737.jpg
0226181737b.jpg

The below two are of the same areas of BA, taken tody
MVIMG_20180307_165346 (1).jpg
MVIMG_20180307_165355.jpg

So far, so good.
Have not seen any cyano and the live rock is getting cleaner.

:)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back