OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the UV is the final blow u needed. Have you ever had success with diatom filters?

Yeah,
Would use my father's diatom filter, in the early 80's with freshwater.

They're so good that one might strip out all the nutrients in a reef setup... ;Nailbiting
'
Think reefwiser still keeps one on hand for emergency situations. You need a good pre-filter setup to stop the diatoms from clogging real fast.

Like @drawman thoughts on running the UV with the main display before plumping it permanently, down under.

Rich,
The pods and Algaebarn's phytoplankton came in on Thursday. At this point, one or the other seems to be doing well dealing with the dinos. So I would like to see how this combo pans out before firing up the UV. We've held out our patience for this long, so a little while longer is fine on my end.

The UV might not be able to kill this strain. (lol) Should have scoped it way back... ;Hilarious

It's not a toxin eating strain or the tangs and regal would have been long gone.

Tim,
Glad that you're doing well with your residency!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
Would use my father's diatom filter, in the early 80's with freshwater.

They're so good that one might strip out all the nutrients in a reef setup... ;Nailbiting

Rich,
The pods and Algaebarn's phytoplankton came in on Thursday. At this point, one or the other seems to be doing well dealing with the dinos. So I would like to see how this combo pans out before firing up the UV. We've held out our patience for this long, so a little while longer is fine on my end.
Patience and allowing the biochemistry and bacterial battles to calm down will always be my approach in relevance to taking the scientific strategies. Life always finds a balance. Its really a matter of what ur willing to risk while the clock ticks away. Not sure how i would approach a fully grown out reef when an ugly rears its head. Much more at risk, and u have already been through the trenches before. So urgency is jumping in the other side of the scale for ur situation. Keep us updated bud. Hope all is well. Grandkid pics soon please :)

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience and allowing the biochemistry and bacterial battles to calm down will always be my approach in relevance to taking the scientific strategies. Life always finds a balance. Its really a matter of what ur willing to risk while the clock ticks away. Not sure how i would approach a fully grown out reef when an ugly rears its head. Much more at risk, and u have already been through the trenches before. So urgency is jumping in the other side of the scale for ur situation. Keep us updated bud. Hope all is well. Grandkid pics soon please :)

Rich,
Thanks for your support!

GoVols: Roll your clocks back update...

Dinos seem to be all gone.

Ran the UV as Tim told us, off the main display. Sure makes your water crystal clear without stripping out all your nutrients. Took off the unit, figuring out the way to plumb it in over the long haul.

Think Algaebarns Phytoplankton helped a lot and so did the crabs and urchin.

You guys are not going to believe the next phase:

Cyanobacteria Lyngbya... ;Dead

Wish it was hair algae, but it's Lyngbya.
lyngbya-majuscula-1954a869-ab8f-4ab5-9653-edfbedc5c43-resize-750.jpg

Dosing hydrogen peroxide, heavy.

Dr called me in one 500mg pill of Azithromycin as a last resort.
Will dose 300mgs, because we're only holding 80 gallons.

Did a three-day blackout and the wall hammer has really suffered. It seems to have gone through some big-time tissue recession (inside one wall) during the blackout.

lol
When we get to the end, going to re-scape this reef just like it used to be.
We're going to do that even if we need the Aquatic Critter to hold the corals until it's done right.

Those two big Ducan colonies started off as one tiny 2 headed frag, but one colony is going to be traded in.

Trying to go back to more of an acro dominated reef.

lol
Could not find the orange filter this evening... ;Hilarious

The first shot is from an old acro colony that I just almost never post. Broke it down into big frags.
It has really colored back up after adding the A360Xs (purplish to more on the pink side)

image000000.jpg

The green acro growing back
image000001.jpg

Suffering wall hammer
image000003.jpg

Toothbrushed up patch of Cyano Lyngbya / tuff as nails... :(
image000002.jpg

Grandchildren:

Heather with Aaron
image000000 (2).jpg

Liesl and Aaron
image000000 (3).jpg

Liesl, Addie, and Aaron
image000000 (1).jpg

Heidi, Addie and Liesl
image000000 (4).jpg

Heidi
image000000 (5).jpg

... :)

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich,
Thanks for your support!

GoVols: Roll your clocks back update...

Dinos seem to be all gone.

Ran the UV as Tim told us, off the main display. Sure makes your water crystal clear without stripping out all your nutrients. Took off the unit, figuring out the way to plumb it in over the long haul.

Think Algaebarns Phytoplankton helped a lot and so did the crabs and urchin.

You guys are not going to believe the next phase:

Cyanobacteria Lyngbya... ;Dead

Wish it was hair algae, but it's Lyngbya.
lyngbya-majuscula-1954a869-ab8f-4ab5-9653-edfbedc5c43-resize-750.jpg

Dosing hydrogen peroxide, heavy.

Dr called me in one 500mg pill of Azithromycin as a last resort.
Will dose 300mgs, because we're only holding 80 gallons.

Did a three-day blackout and the wall hammer has really suffered. It seems to have gone through some big-time tissue recession (inside one wall) during the blackout.

lol
When we get to the end, going to re-scape this reef just like it used to be.
We're going to do that even if we need the Aquatic Critter to hold the corals until it's done right.

Those two big Ducan colonies started off as one tiny 2 headed frag, but one colony is going to be traded in.

Trying to go back to more of an acro dominated reef.

lol
Could not find the orange filter this evening... ;Hilarious

The first shot is from an old acro colony that I just almost never post. Broke it down into big frags.
It has really colored back up after adding the A360Xs (purplish to more on the pink side)

image000000.jpg

The green acro growing back
image000001.jpg

Suffering wall hammer
image000003.jpg

Toothbrushed up patch of Cyano Lyngbya / tuff as nails... :(
image000002.jpg

Grandchildren:

Heather with Aaron
image000000 (2).jpg

Liesl and Aaron
image000000 (3).jpg

Liesl, Addie, and Aaron
image000000 (1).jpg

Heidi, Addie and Liesl
image000000 (4).jpg

Heidi
image000000 (5).jpg

... :)
Hang in there...looks like you’re rounding the corner...

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes sorry to hear about the lyngbya but glad you and the family are doing well Freddie!
Hang in there...looks like you’re rounding the corner...
With grandkids like that, you are a lucky man no matter what happens to your tank :)

Thanks so much, truly have been blessed.

Started making changes, for better flow and to open up the scape.

dumped about five pounds of the montis
image000000 (1).jpg

Found about 1" deep detritus... ;Wideyed
image000001.jpg

Used the Python to remove that area, first water change in memory.

Piled up all things to the back right side.

GoVols: piled up FTS of the evening
image000000 (3).jpg

We'll keep chipping away!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright:

Dinos are in the rearview mirror.

Grateful for all of the guidance that you provided for me during this long journey.
It was a total team effort.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday night we were able to move the big pile, to siphon out the remaining detritus.
Got to admit that it felt good.

Smoothed out the pile as Sunday morning moved on for the coral's overhaul health, including limited damage and to be able to capture some full daylight.

We've kept up dosing h2o2 on the heavy side (3-mls to every ten gallons of holding water) twice a day.
This morning (Sunday) the Lyngbya was paled with dosing the above.

Then as the morning moved on the Purple tang started to rip it apart.

It was like a repeat when the bubble algae broke down with Vibrant and the Purple tang took to chipping the ba away into the water column.

Lol... The guy is like a hound dog on a sent.

As the day moved on the Achilles tang caught the hint and by lights out the Regal was doing damage to the Lyngbya as well.

At this point feeling optimistic that this long chapter is coming to the end.

Will update with photos as this day moves along.

Hitting the hay... ;Dead

Freddie

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
Just remember that Google messed up the Pixel 2's camera.

The first shot is of Big Orange / You can see where the dinos got a foothold in the middle of that coral. Dinos were wiped out on that coral a while back and it's starting to encrust over that area.

image000003 (1).jpg

The wall hammer does have big-time tissue recession, but it looks like it stopped / I think it got stabbed during the black out from the branching hammer's sharp stock falling on the wall hammer.
image000001.jpg

We'll dump from here.

image000000 (1).jpg
image000000.jpg
image000001 (1).jpg
image000000.jpg
image000002 (1).jpg
image000002.jpg
image000006 (1).jpg
image000007 (1).jpg
image000003.jpg
image000004 (1).jpg
image000004.jpg
image000005 (1).jpg
image000005.jpg
image000006 (1).jpg
image000006.jpg
image000007 (1).jpg
image000008.jpg
image000009.jpg

Well,
Some of those shots show how close that we are to wiping out Lyngbya.

To clear up one thing, per the display size 110 gallons, we are doing the h202 / 2,2 mls to every 10 gallons of the 110g total display rating.

At one point the entire rock and glass were engulfed with cob webbing structure and long stands of dinos. I kept two small areas clear to see inside and to make sure (confirm) that it was dinos taking off the glass.

lol
Never been so happy to post a pile of rocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay,

On the upper open left side area (above Big Orange) would like to put in green slimer and let it grow out.

Things like that are going to take time to make sure the S-400 has really stabled out, but it is nice to be able to think forward.

Going to rent the BRS led par meter as well.
Still pushing 4 Kessil A360x fixtures with two T5's

Anyways...
We got the re-scape done yesterday. Almost like it used to be while gaining back the structure's stability.

This tiny heater sure came in handy to keep the corals comfortable, while being in a bin as we re-scaped.

Doubled up an old plastic shower curtain, and draped it over our big coffee table.

Pulled out each rock down to the base rocks and placed those on the shower curtain as the scape came back together.

Flow going through all areas of live rock, access on all four sides of the scape with adding some upper right side height.

Going to make one more water change to siphon the remaining detritus.

Would like to go back to the Red Sea Colors program while dosing some strontium as well.
The growth remained the same, but the sps corals have lost their deep and rich colors.

The last shots were taken from the La-Z-Boy that also shows the limited light overspill.

image000001.jpg
image000003.jpg
image000005.jpg
image000000 (1).jpg
image000001 (1).jpg
image000004 (2).jpg
image000003 (1).jpg
image000004 (1).jpg
image000005 (1).jpg
image000001 (2).jpg
image000000 (3).jpg

From tearing out a ton of montipora reef's intake has reduced and bumped up the calcium reactor's melting point, by a full point.

Would like to plumb in the UV tomorrow, but could hold off until next weekend.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Freddie ! ! !

That’s looking good Freddie, and great pictures!

Nice job on the scape tweaks bud.

The hammer colony is ;Drool

Thank you!

Last Saturday morning we plumbed in the UV strelizer.

lol
Not to @SkiCatTX standards, but it will do the job. Still have plenty of room to maintain the sump, including filter sock and skimmer cup.

image000007.jpg

image000006.jpg

Pretty much out of real estate.

Bides (showing) the Tecco chiller and Akatronic, under the hood remains the same.
image000002 (1).jpg

If nothing else the UV sure leaves the water clear as a bell.

Just some random shots...
image000000.jpg
image000002.jpg
image000001.jpg
image000004.jpg

Purple tang with its yellow type horns
image000005.jpg
image000009.jpg
image000008.jpg

Things remain stable which is all we can ask for.

The Seachem Reef Glue works well, mounted some of those acro frags with it.

For the first time strayed from Rowaphos and using NYOS Phosi-EX, NYOS's grains are so big that it will not tumble... ;Hilarious

Kinda would like an ORA Turquoise Stag, but want to talk with Adam with BC's in case he carries something like that.

Hope you and all your loved ones have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Freddie

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Last Saturday morning we plumbed in the UV strelizer.

lol
Not to @SkiCatTX standards, but it will do the job. Still have plenty of room to maintain the sump, including filter sock and skimmer cup.

image000007.jpg

image000006.jpg

Pretty much out of real estate.

Bides (showing) the Tecco chiller and Akatronic, under the hood remains the same.
image000002 (1).jpg

If nothing else the UV sure leaves the water clear as a bell.

Just some random shots...
image000000.jpg
image000002.jpg
image000001.jpg
image000004.jpg

Purple tang with its yellow type horns
image000005.jpg
image000009.jpg
image000008.jpg

Things remain stable which is all we can ask for.

The Seachem Reef Glue works well, mounted some of those acro frags with it.

For the first time strayed from Rowaphos and using NYOS Phosi-EX, NYOS's grains are so big that it will not tumble... ;Hilarious

Kinda would like an ORA Turquoise Stag, but want to talk with Adam with BC's in case he carries something like that.

Hope you and all your loved ones have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Freddie
Freddie are you running the UV sterilizer off of a manifold? Happy early Thanksgiving!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freddie are you running the UV sterilizer off of a manifold? Happy early Thanksgiving!
Happy (early) Thanksgiving as well.

Tim,
I did what you recommend at first:

Fired it up with a big Sicce pump, that that hung against the main display's back glass. Then it returned back to the main display with an elbow shooting the flow the other way from the pump. So, the UV unit was setting on top of the S-400's "wide" covered overflow box, until the dinos were gone.

When you pointed out to use it inside the main display to begin, it made sense on my end too.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes,
Right now it is running off the manifold with the gfo reactor / 1/2" - 3/4" Y / using different plumping sizes and ball valves.

If I turn off the main return in Apex Fusion, it also turns off the UV sterilizer as well.

Reef's water is crystal clear, with no effects on phosphate or nitrate levels.

Are you rolling with your UV at this point as well?

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy (early) Thanksgiving as well.

Tim,
I did what you recommend at first:

Fired it up with a big Sicce pump, that that hung against the main display's back glass. Then it returned back to the main display with an elbow shooting the flow the other way from the pump. So, the UV unit was setting on top of the S-400's "wide" covered overflow box, until the dinos were gone.

When you pointed out to use it inside the main display to begin, it made sense on my end too.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes,
Right now it is running off the manifold with the gfo reactor / 1/2" - 3/4" Y / using different plumping sizes and ball valves.

If I turn off the main return in Apex Fusion, it also turns off the UV sterilizer as well.

Reef's water is crystal clear, with no effects on phosphate or nitrate levels.

Are you rolling with your UV at this point as well?
Glad to hear it! I've been really lazy with setting the tank back up. Right now I have it filled with saltwater, no rock, nothing else lol. May get some motivation over the long weekend though!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get Back your Avi background cover...

If you guys remember we had a cover wallpaper if you "hovered" over someones avi

We lost that background picture when Rev did the last update.

I was messing with my avi last night and opened it up with the wrong upload button and it did not show up???, then I hovered over my avi was in my cover background.

Here's what you do:

Inside a thread hover over your avi, then click on your avi.

You will see your old cover sheet and profile

Click on the / Edit Profile Banner button and re-upload it there or use another shot as I did / See the button circled in the below image.

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 5.27.34 PM.png

You can hover over my Avi to see what I mean... :p

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back