GRAFTING CORALS: The Art Of Coral Grafting

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GRAFTING CORALS: The Art Of Coral Grafting

The art of coral grafting is very risky. It involves fragging corals, which if you have any knowledge on that know it can come with some dangers. They can contain toxins that could potentially kill someone. With proper safety you can cut any fraggable coral with confidence. Once you become a skilled frag master you can start to experiment with the pieces. Let me clear up the notion that grafting corals is the same as grafting trees. A coral will not be genetically altered, it wont grow weird hybrid polyps, and it wont actually form into the other coral, but put up a diving structure that merely looks like it was grafted. With that said, corals will however morph in color from close contact with other colors of the same species. If you glue two zoas together the heads will grow together as a two-tone frag but may end up splitting down the middle into two polyps.

1.jpg

montipora cap image via reef2reef sponsor @WWC

STEP 1: TEST THE FRAGS

Some corals will sting their neighbors when moved too closely while others can share a sleeping bag and get along great. Most of the time you can place similar corals next to each other and they do not get bothered. The easiest way to determine whether or not your corals will sting each other is by taking a frag of each and putting them so close that they touch. Give them a day or so to talk things over with each other. If they get along you will still have 2 frags when all is said and done. If they are not compatible you may end up with one or even no corals. If that is the case you can now try another combination until you get it right. The easiest corals to graft are ones of the same species.

STEP 2: CUT THE FRAGS

Now that you have two happy-to-know-each other corals you can plan the graft. Plating LPS corals are easy with straight cuts. Simply line the cuts up and glue them together. Acans are another easy coral to graft. You can just place various species near each other on a rock and they will grow themselves into each other and make some very interesting morphs. The trick with cutting is to make each cut on each frag so that it will easily lock into place with the coral you are trying to graft it with. If you are trying to splice zoanthids or palys you can cut the polyps in half long ways and glue them together.

2.jpg

grafted montipora image via reef2reef member @KLR

STEP 3: GLUE THE FRAGS

When gluing a coral to another coral you must understand its regrowth pattern. Does the coral encrust? Does it fluff up? When you glue LPS corals it is best to press them together at the skeletons where the cuts are. If you are gluing plating corals than gluing them to the rock will be your best bet and allow time to press them together. Acropora typed SPS can be glued at the base and the encrusting flesh will meet up after time and have some interesting unpredictable effects.

3.jpg

purple death and nuclear green paly grafted together. image via ExoticFrags

STEP 4: PLACE THE FRAGS

When you place your frags you will want them as close to where they came from as possible until they are healed and ready to be acclimated to their permanent home. Always keep a good distance from other corals because there is still a chance they may try to sting each other. Keep future growth in mind along with how you will view your coral.

STEP 5: OBSERVE THE FRAGS

Watch the frags. The place where they touch will be the place where the action happens. As the coral regrows and swells up it may change colors and do great or one of the corals may start to lose color and bleach out. If that happens you will know you cannot mix what you tried to mix. Worst case scenario, you lose two frags. Best case scenario, you make a graft worth hundreds of dollars to those who love unique corals.

4.jpg

image via reef2reef member @Reef Pets

STEP 6: NAME YOUR GRAFT

If you made something cool and new you better name it!!!! People love creativity. The variants of colors you can create will be unique from other reefers due to variations in water chemistry and lighting. If you need help naming your coral there is an insane amount of people here who would be happy to give you ideas.

In conclusion, grafting is risky to both you and the frags up for the test. Only do this after you have mastered keeping normal corals and have a developed hand for fragging.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Article says you can cut zoas in half... is that true? I think someone tried it on here before and noticed some sort of graft but it wasn't crazy obvious like half-face zoas are.

LinkaStarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi new to this forum, live in Denver. Anyway I have a rather large white polyp toadstool. It's located on the edge of a rock that's very central to my tank. Honestly it's great in all but I want to move him but I'm terrified that I will kill him! Any suggestions???
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384232447.732983.jpg

LinkaStarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps sorry if this was in the wrong area/topic. Grafting cactus is the only thing I have been successful with I would love to graft corals if I can get past the basics of fragging larger ones. I'm so worried they will die!

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was intrigued by this idea of grafting corals. I have some orange micromussa's and some solid green micros. At least that is what I was told they were, and have referred to them ever since as that. Anyway, thought I would try step one and sit them near each other to see if they could possibly be grafted. I think I now know the answer.

image.jpg

Mowze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0105.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg

My first post! Iv been reading on here for ages but I wanted to register to show off some of my successful grafts!

chrisfraser05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting article, I've never seen this before BUT I am actually trying it at the moment myself :)

I have recently added a piece of Blue Monti into the middle of my Green branches, and also (not pictured) have added a few pieces of orange branch too.
Hope it looks even half as cool as some of the pics on here once it's grown out a bit.

A
nd just for pure interest, the same green montis back in September.

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know if a fungia plate breaks in half you can glue the pieces back together and it will grow into 1 piece again. I'm so tempted to get a few different colours and test grafting them together! I wana try to cut them into pizza slice shapes and glue them back :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back