Graham’s (GWS3) Eye Candy Thread – Best of the Best

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's one more I've been meaning to share for a while.

GWS Arcoiris - Grew this out from a frag of a browned out wild piece. Was very slow at first, but is now growing very fast. It really shines when it it reaches colony size. Unfortunately the FOV on my cell can only capture about 2/3 of the whole colony.
daA1Fm7.jpg
Love this thread!! Crazy pieces!! Bravo on an amazing collection!!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for noticing! We will be moved into our place in Florida soon and I will definitely be setting up a tank again. I ended up just giving all my livestock to an old friend last year so I could get the house fixed and sold. I just had to comment on these amazing grafts because that kind of thing doesn’t normally happen very often. I have traded with him a number of times at local shows and am very glad to see he is still rolling along.

OP
OP
gws3

gws3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I thought this would be cool to share. I was cutting some frags of POTO flamethrower, possibly my favorite acro of all time. The frag in the top left was just cut from the bottom third of my 300 gallon display. It’s lit by 6X G5 XR30 Blue, 4X 80W Blue Plus T5 and 2X 60” Reefbrite XHOs. The one in the bottom right is a frag that’s been growing in a frag tank on the same system. It’s a shallow tank (10” or so) and lit by 4X G5 Radion XR15 Blue and 2X 30” Reefbrite XHOs.

Both spots measure about 250-275 PAR. It’s amazing to me the stark difference of the base color considering these are in the same system, same PAR level, and similar lights.

What do you guys think? Are the T5s spectrum responsible for the difference? Or perhaps it’s because one is 6” under the water surface and the other is 24” under. I’m thinking at 24” deep the higher wavelengths are being filtered out a bit.

It’s stuff like this that still keeps me perplexed after 15 years in the hobby.

1633121377025.png

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant believe this colors are real! Thats the best ive ever seen and in the same time its unreal to me. That is just absolutely stunning! You are an amazing reefer! Is there any pics you share from your display tank?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, those are both stunning! Crazy how different they can look in the same system just different areas.

Is there some form of mechanical filtration before the frag section in the sump? Just curious if maybe it has to do with feeding from foods/fish waste? I'm guessing the 300g colony's base is similar to the growth tips?

EDIT: Just realized it's a frag tank connected to the same system, so probably not much difference in feeding

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Graham,hope all is well with you and your family.any chance of a fts to see all these beautiful pieces together or are they all in frag tanks on racks ? Either or either but would be nice to see maybe mother colonies in main dt if that's how you do it idk ^_^

OP
OP
gws3

gws3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Greg's Unicorn - I'm really enjoying this piece now that it's finally branching out. It was dull for a while before I blasted it under G5 Blues. The colors on it are unique to any other acro I own.
92eaI6J.jpg

CC Fuzzy Rainbow - A few months ago I chopped the mother colony into four mini colonies to encourage branching as it was just continually encrusting with very few branches. This definitely did the trick. The new branches are light blue, almost without color other than the tips. But this coral develops some amazingly bright colors under blues, especially since it somehow caught some grafting in my system.
1KcQnLq.jpg

WWC Budgie Smuggler - This coral has taken a long time to get to this point. It's a finicky piece for me. Small frags often stall out and go all green. It's really starting to shine now that I've let it branch out more without fragging much.
dKBOW4I.jpg

Malaysia Deepwater - This is a no-name Malaysia deepwater I've been growing for a while now. A lot of them do not do very well in captivity, this one adjusted readily. Very nice contrasting colors between the polyps and the base. I'll have to come up with a name for it.
pj1DpyW.jpg

CRT Red Riding Hood - Growing nicely, one of my favorite smoothskins now.
FYaAO1k.jpg

BC Adam Bomb - This one grew very slowly at first but is now picking up speed. Reminds me a lot of my Pink Panther Table. Definitely a different coral, but similar.
8JtTnjD.jpg

Back