Gramma sick, but with what?!

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I believe I may have already posted something along these lines a while ago. I honestly cant remember and things have changed. I'm going to run this through from the beginning. I apologize if it's a bit long winded. MY current set up is a 40 gallon Nuvo. I do weekly water changes or between 5-10 gallons. I originally had an issue with nitrates being at zero so I stopped skimming to get them up and began feeding a bit heavier which has helped. Water chemistry stays stable (besides an ammonia testing issue that I've had with a kit reading 8ppm) Nitrate 5-10, nitrate- 0 salinity 1.026. I currently have two clowns, a YWG and the gramma alongside a handful of clean up crew and a pistol shrimp. My gramma began flashing the sand a little over a week ago. Initially it was a few times a day and I believe that he was just attempting to stir up food or simply had an itch. However, over the following few days the flashing increased significantly. I did not see any white spots on the fish and immediately ran out and grabbed some Prazipro (got to the store 5 minutes before they closed and was driving like my wife was in labor). I dosed the med's in the DT. That evening I looked into the tank with a flashlight, as i frequently do, and noticed there were visible white spots on the top of the gramma's head. That evening was rough as he laid on the sand bed in the back corner of the tank, which he has never done before. The next morning I fed the tank and he was out being a typical jerk and eating fine. I thought things were heading back into the right direction. In the afternoon he began to flash again, although not as often, and again would lay in the corner but then would randomly get back to swimming and harassing. I waited an additional day, did a water change and redosed the Prazi-pro. He is out eating and swimming and hiding in his typical places. There is no labored breathing. But, he continues to randomly lay on the bottom of the sand bed. I have not been able to see any white spots. I thought perhaps ich if not the original thought of flukes. Or, perhaps velvet but seeing that he is still active i'm honestly not sure. I have attempted to pull him out, and the other fish, through the use of bottle traps and a fish trap but have had no luck so far. Were my actions the right call so far? Any idea what this may be given that it has been nearly a week and he's still alive. Additionally, how this came about? I can not recall any stressors externally put on the tank and nothing new has been added in nearly two months. The goby was down and out for a day a well. Looked as if he had grayed on his side but has now resurfaced and looks fine. I'm so confused by this despite my hours and hours or research.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a couple of issues with your fish. Flukes and perhaps internal parasites as well. Problem with dosing in a display tank is that the sand, rocks, etc. will absorb some of the medications making the effectiveness uneven at best.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a couple of issues with your fish. Flukes and perhaps internal parasites as well. Problem with dosing in a display tank is that the sand, rocks, etc. will absorb some of the medications making the effectiveness uneven at best.
Thanks for the response, Gary. Several attempts have been made to get these guys out. And, still attempting to do so.

Back