Gravel pump and more (quick questions)

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have a quick question when it comes to syphoning the sand during water changes and other equipment. Does using a gravel pump to syphon the sand affect the bacteria and pods living there? I have a LOT of detritus and cyano on my sand and I need to suck that stuff out but I don't want to screw around with what's living down there.

As well, I feed my fish mysis which is causing an oily layer on top of my water. My tank is a 5 month old Nuvo 20 peninsula with high flow yet I feel like my filtration system in the back isn't getting the best turnover with water flow. Should I look into a protein skimmer? I already have nearly undetectable nitrates and phosphate (part of the reason for algae) so I don't want to waste $100 for some equipment that will have no positive affect. I have 1 bag of GFO and my water is nearly crystal clear but with lots of algae build up.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Gatling

I am not familiar with the Nuvo. If you have film on the surface i would recommend 2 things. Better surface skimming and more surface agitation. Not too sure what could do about skimming In an AIO but how is the if flow in the tank. Is the water on top fairly calm or wavy?

as far as vacuuming the sand bed it will not mess w your biological filter. When you gravel pump do you mean vacuum where the grave get sucked part way up a tube, tumbles a bit and back down? Those are fine.

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Gatling

I am not familiar with the Nuvo. If you have film on the surface i would recommend 2 things. Better surface skimming and more surface agitation. Not too sure what could do about skimming In an AIO but how is the if flow in the tank. Is the water on top fairly calm or wavy?

as far as vacuuming the sand bed it will not mess w your biological filter. When you gravel pump do you mean vacuum where the grave get sucked part way up a tube, tumbles a bit and back down? Those are fine.
Thanks for the help! The surface is quite turbulent. What I meant to say is that the overflow is quite small and I dont think it filters well.

And yes, the tube thing is what I meant. I just wanted to make sure because I know moving rocks can sometimes upset the natural bacteria filtration.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back