Gravity fed rodi and salt water supply

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I'm sick of filling up my rodi container every 3 days. I also want to Implement auto water changes on my 1000 litre system. So I was going to place 2x 220l barrels outside, against my living room wall, on a stand to keep my Internal rodi and salt water reservoirs topped up via gravity.

The water will have to travel 4 meters to my tank and the drop will be about 1.5 feet. I was going to use rodi tubing from the outside barrels to a float valve on each reservoir. Do you think gravity will be enough to supply the water using this diameter hose, 4 meters away with 1.5 foot drop?

Thanks!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do. I use a gravity system and DIY float valve that shuts off an electric valve when the 6 gallon bucket hanging from the ceiling is full.

I use a 1/4" hose. I have been using this system for a few decades with no problem of floods yet.

This is enough to keep my tank full, but it will never work for a water change because it's much to slow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m more concerned about ability to control or stop water flow thereby lowering salinity.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. The outdoor barrels will not supply the system directly. I will still use my Internal reservoirs in my sump which my ato and water change pump will pump from, the outdoor barrels will just keep these Internal containers topped up so flow can be slow.

Thanks!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To prevent overfilling, I have a valve in the supply line that keeps the flow very slow. For instance if my tank used one gallon a day my system will only be able to supply slightly more than one gallon a day so the threat of overfilling is very low as I would have to not see it for a week or so.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! I will do this!

I have my ato pump on a timer so it can only supply just a little more than needed but I will also put a valve on the top up supply from the barrels incase the float valve fails. Thanks!
To prevent overfilling, I have a valve in the supply line that keeps the flow very slow. For instance if my tank used one gallon a day my system will only be able to supply slightly more than one gallon a day so the threat of overfilling is very low as I would have to not see it for a week or so.

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I am just thinking -- but why bother with the internal reservoir at all? Just run the ATO Pump in the outside barrel (depends on climate I guess). For example the Tunze ATO's can be modified and their pump power extended. Here in TN I run my "personal setup" like this. I do have a heater in the barrel for those unusual cold spells we get from time to time just to make sure the barrel don't freeze up. And even still, I have had a "line freeze" during those times, even if heater is in the barrel, the outside line can/will freeze. You're going to have that issue though anyways most likely. They sell things that can be used to keep lines warm but depending on your climate you may not have to worry about anything like that.

I have 2 barrels outside, one for Salt and one for RO, I drilled two holes in the side of my house (after thoroughly convincing my wife that these would definitely be the last holes.;Joyful) One for the Tunze ATO tube/pump power and one for a dos line in, and out.

This kind of setup really makes the water changes and ato a breeze!

So yeah, I say ditch the internal reservoirs all together!

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 1/4 inch line by pump to my 10g ato fresh water pale, and use a float valve, and yes its only on for one hour, and has no access to my sump in case of accidents. I use an aqualifter hooked to sumps ATO which feeds through my kalk rector which gravity feeds into sump. Its accident proof and one does not have to worry about mechanical failure. tank will be 100% safe at all times.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I am just thinking -- but why bother with the internal reservoir at all? Just run the ATO Pump in the outside barrel (depends on climate I guess). For example the Tunze ATO's can be modified and their pump power extended. Here in TN I run my "personal setup" like this. I do have a heater in the barrel for those unusual cold spells we get from time to time just to make sure the barrel don't freeze up. And even still, I have had a "line freeze" during those times, even if heater is in the barrel, the outside line can/will freeze. You're going to have that issue though anyways most likely. They sell things that can be used to keep lines warm but depending on your climate you may not have to worry about anything like that.

I have 2 barrels outside, one for Salt and one for RO, I drilled two holes in the side of my house (after thoroughly convincing my wife that these would definitely be the last holes.;Joyful) One for the Tunze ATO tube/pump power and one for a dos line in, and out.

This kind of setup really makes the water changes and ato a breeze!

So yeah, I say ditch the internal reservoirs all together!
You are right, this would be a good approach and would save me some cabnet space! But I decided to use the reservoir so that I have a back up system should the lines freeze or split. I also have a few days back up should it fail and i can leave my ato amd w/c kit as is. Ive wrapped my exposed outdoor lines in insulation and will have a small pump keeping the barrels turning over to hopefully avoid freezing. My GF wasn't happy also! 2 bright blue barrels 50 cm off the floor on the patio!! Next job, hide them somehow! :D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back