Great Barrier Reef records highest hard coral cover in 36 years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Australian Institute of Marine Science has reported a 36-year coral coverage high across the Great Barrier Reef for 2021/22. The greatest coverage increases were reported in the North and Central regions of the GBR, which is in direct contrast as they have also been the regions worst affected by coral bleaching via rising sea…
Source

Continue reading...

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good news for the ocean! Unfortunately I believe it'll be short lived as most of the planet doesn't seem to care about the oceans, and uses it as a toilet. Luckily it seems corals in the wild can be as resilient as in our tanks as long as we dont completely nuke them.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good news for the ocean! Unfortunately I believe it'll be short lived as most of the planet doesn't seem to care about the oceans, and uses it as a toilet. Luckily it seems corals in the wild can be as resilient as in our tanks as long as we dont completely nuke them.
Using it as a toilet isn’t near as bad as using it for a trash can

View Badges
They Need to stop looking for these spots that way they will stay the way they are .left alone ,we need to leave it alone they can spore and populate the rest of ocean If need be. Its Mother Nature it will recover the ocean corals but we need to leave it alone.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They Need to stop looking for these spots that way they will stay the way they are .left alone ,we need to leave it alone they can spore and populate the rest of ocean If need be. Its Mother Nature it will recover the ocean corals but we need to leave it alone.
Looking for these spots? The GBR has been mapped for like 50 years already. They aren't looking for new spots, they are surveying coverage.

If you close your eyes and don't survey coral coverage, that action has absolutely zero effect on them recovering. A survey does no damage to the environment.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Covid related. Less human travel. Maybe possible less use of pesticides? Then again more people in homes generating an in other crap.

I do know when diving in Cozumel earlier in the year the reefs looked great. Two reasons.

1. Covid, less divers
2. Locals close off blocks of reefs to let them recover from divers

/shrug

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back