Great inexpensive UV Sterilizer Solution for Nano tanks!

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for a UV Sterilizer solution for my Water Box 20 AIO when I found this on Amazon, and its working like a champ!

$18.99 for an 11 Watt UV Lamp with Lamp Shade and on-off timer that you can just drop into just about anywhere.... -Put the shade on the UV bulb and drop it in your AIO return section. Walla! Instant, cheap UV solution. The return section is the perfect place for the UV, 11 watts is plenty of algae & parasite killing power for any size nano and even larger tanks.... and the shade is a bonus if you have a light leak. In my Water Box 20 AIO the "sump area" glass is darkly tinted. Not light proof. But the shade worked perfectly to contain the UV light. I mated an air stone with mine to add aeration and ensure circulation of water around the lamp. Easy!

I imagine there are lots of uses for this UV in all sorts of filtration systems. Great little UV and I thought I would share. Mine is working like a champ:

1638942452152.png

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While a cheap solution for a bacterial or Dino bloom on a nano…a quick fix…

It has no way to replace the bulbs and bulbs do degrade over time. It doesn’t even say how often to replace it. At least yearly but maybe even 6 months.

I don’t particularly like how stuff like this is made to be thrown away in a landfill. That’s my one gripe.

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While a cheap solution for a bacterial or Dino bloom on a nano…a quick fix…

It has no way to replace the bulbs and bulbs do degrade over time. It doesn’t even say how often to replace it. At least yearly but maybe even 6 months.

I don’t particularly like how stuff like this is made to be thrown away in a landfill. That’s my one gripe.
I pay $30 a bulb for my larger UV Sterilizers. This bulb is rated for 11,000 hours. Thats well over a year running 24/7. . Plus it on can be set to run 3/6/12/24 hour cycles. Im betting i get a year or better. At $18.99 ? No brainer

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting perfectly in my Nano AIO return section dispersing UV shielded and on 12 hour cycle. Its just a simple UV bulb with a timer and a shield. Really happy knowing its running tonight. Besides? What else can you fit so easily into the return section of an AIO ?
NANO.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pay $30 a bulb for my larger UV Sterilizers. This bulb is rated for 11,000 hours. Thats well over a year running 24/7. . Plus it on can be set to run 3/6/12/24 hour cycles. Im betting i get a year or better. At $18.99 ? No brainer

Yes but it doesn’t look like it disconnects? So the entire controller gets tossed and everything, no? Seems wasteful. Time will tell to see if the entire unit lasts.

It would just be nice if the bulb only was replaceable. Less waste is less waste.

I have just become more conscious these days about what is just being tossed out or single use. Target order came today and every item was wrapped in its own clear plastic bag. So unnecessary. Whyyy…

IM makes one for AIOs but more expensive. It does have a shield shape to filter the water through in the first chamber though so more water should pass through it. The bulb is replaceable. I do think the price of the IM one should be lower for what it is though.

Last edited:

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
COOSPIDER Sun JUP-01 Aquariums in Tank Submersible Machine 211gph 9 Watt fit for 80Gallon (JUP 01 Set + 2X Replace Filter + 1x Spare Bulb)

Here for 30 more I bought this. Works great, has amazing reviews. Comes with spare bulb for change.

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
COOSPIDER Sun JUP-01 Aquariums in Tank Submersible Machine 211gph 9 Watt fit for 80Gallon (JUP 01 Set + 2X Replace Filter + 1x Spare Bulb)

Here for 30 more I bought this. Works great, has amazing reviews. Comes with spare bulb for change.

Thanks, but no. This one I posted fits *IN* the AIO back filtration area and running perfectly on 12 hour cycles with the built in timer. Like I said, it was $18.99 and running fantastic.

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it's plumbed in im terrified of uv
Terrified? Why?

The concept is very simple. It sits in a 4 inch by 3 inch blackened chamber and has a simple half moon conical shade. The electronics are solid and appear to be on par with any other electronic implement in all my other appliances. -A solid, thick insulated power supply,the bulb looks well made -probably from the same factory in China as the more expensive UV I have on my larger system.

Easiest simple solution for nano tank drop in UV I could find and working perfectly.

Still, Im wondering what am I missing.... Terrified?

W1ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrified? Why?

The concept is very simple. It sits in a 4 inch by 3 inch blackened chamber and has a simple half moon conical shade. The electronics are solid and appear to be on par with any other electronic implement in all my other appliances. -A solid, thick insulated power supply,the bulb looks well made -probably from the same factory in China as the more expensive UV I have on my larger system.
Easiest simple solution for nano tank drop in UV I could find and working perfectly.

Still, Im wondering what am I missing.... Terrified?
It is probably effective and a good thing to have on hand. I have run similar things on my Nano to combat dino outbreaks and the like. However I personally wouldn't recommend running an exposed UV like that permanently. For starters, UV in general is dangerous, its not just a pretty blue light, its radiation. And its not just the parasites and algae in your tank that its capable of harming. As well as this, materials that are not specifically designed to withstand UV generally aren't very good at withstanding it. I know you said your return chamber is all glass but think about things like silicone, you wouldn't exactly want that degrading. This is why an external plumbed in UV is generally more popular as it eliminates all these issues, no light bleed, and no materials in the actual tank being exposed to the light. Overall though, I probably would run something like this for a short period of time to combat something like a dino bloom, but I really really wouldn't recommend running something like this long term.

BigKestral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will any uv sterilizer from amazon work for just disease prevention? I see similar ones like this without the shade on Amazon canada.

W1ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will any uv sterilizer from amazon work for just disease prevention? I see similar ones like this without the shade on Amazon canada.
Most likely yes, as long as it have appropriate wattage to suit the size of your tank. I use this one, I do not run it permanently though.

BigKestral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely yes, as long as it have appropriate wattage to suit the size of your tank. I use this one, I do not run it permanently though.

That's petty much the same I bought off aliexpress. Got the highest 11watt offered.
What's the/is there a general rule for wattage per gallon to find the right wattage? Thanks

W1ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's petty much the same I bought off aliexpress. Got the highest 11watt offered.
What's the/is there a general rule for wattage per gallon to find the right wattage? Thanks
As far as I am aware there isn't really a blanket rule, especially when it comes to Nano tanks. I have heard people mention rules from 1 watt per gallon, all the way up to 1 watt per every 10 gallons. I run an 11 watter on my 15g and its seems to work perfectly, if not a little better than it needs to. At the end of the day though, I'd rather it be overkill for my tank rather than under powered .

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back