Great Swimming Fish: Who does it best?

What types of fish are the best swimmers? (Pick the top 2)

• Anthias

Votes: 60 15.4%
  • Angelfish

Votes: 49 12.6%
  • Butterfly Fish

Votes: 15 3.8%
  • Clownfish

Votes: 53 13.6%
  • Basslets

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Dartfish

Votes: 16 4.1%
  • Dragonets

Votes: 22 5.6%
  • Eels

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Rabbitfish

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • Gobies

Votes: 22 5.6%
  • Tangs

Votes: 171 43.8%
  • Wrasse

Votes: 170 43.6%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked gobies and wrasses. For the simple reason:
Have you seen how much each species will vary?!
In specific I own these guys:
Wrasses:
Pseudocheilinops ataenia (NOT to be confused with Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Both variants)
Cirrhilabrus melanomargiantus
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres chloropterus

Gobies:
Discordipinna griessingeri
Koumansetta hectori
Stonogobiops yasha
Gobiodon acicularis

What ones would I say my favourites are in terms of colour and swimming? For the wrasses it’s my Naokoae, absolutely beautiful colours AND they have the Elongated pelvic fins most in the rubriventralis complex have.
055CF2BB-8AF2-4624-B330-020A5140C406.jpeg

As for the gobies, it’s got to be my griessingeri. The difference is they don’t necessarily swim. They instead pull themselves along the sand bed with their pectoral fins. Their body shape is like nothing seen in other gobies though.
A close second has to be my Koumansetta hectori though. He is a great swimmer as he swims more in terms of gobies but less in terms of the wrasses and tangs/rabbits.
CE410A77-6778-42B3-B079-AF714AD4E15F.jpeg
AD7A0EFD-4448-4565-BE1B-E1280049DEDC.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked gobies and wrasses. For the simple reason:
Have you seen how much each species will vary?!
In specific I own these guys:
Wrasses:
Pseudocheilinops ataenia (NOT to be confused with Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Both variants)
Cirrhilabrus melanomargiantus
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres chloropterus

Gobies:
Discordipinna griessingeri
Koumansetta hectori
Stonogobiops yasha
Gobiodon acicularis

What ones would I say my favourites are in terms of colour and swimming? For the wrasses it’s my Naokoae, absolutely beautiful colours AND they have the Elongated pelvic fins most in the rubriventralis complex have.
055CF2BB-8AF2-4624-B330-020A5140C406.jpeg

As for the gobies, it’s got to be my griessingeri. The difference is they don’t necessarily swim. They instead pull themselves along the sand bed with their pectoral fins. Their body shape is like nothing seen in other gobies though.
A close second has to be my Koumansetta hectori though. He is a great swimmer as he swims more in terms of gobies but less in terms of the wrasses and tangs/rabbits.
CE410A77-6778-42B3-B079-AF714AD4E15F.jpeg
AD7A0EFD-4448-4565-BE1B-E1280049DEDC.jpeg
Also, nothing beats the yellow in the naoko! Not even a yellow tang can beat it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to have to go with a fish that's not on the list: chromis. Always swimming, schooling and moving about. I would've choosen dartfish but since they spend more time in the air than in the water... :squinting-face-with-tongue:

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad there's not more love for clowns! Sure they are not the "best" swimmers, but I love their goofy, playful wiggle and how they snuggle up into their nems. Love to watch my clowns. :star-struck:

hqn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more vote for wrasses. Especially my red and yellow coris wrasses. Love it watch it swimming over rocks looking for pests and turning over shells on the sandbed. Fascinating behavior.

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a weird answer but I love watching my tailspot blenny swim around. I have a few different fishes like a powder blue, orange back fair wrasse, some designer clowns and even a blue mandarin, but my tailspot is my boy and whenever I see him out and about I always hype him up lol. I named him pedro.

I like to call him my "regulator" lol. I used to have 2 clowns that would fight all the time and when I added him everyone seemed to calm down.

Watching him dart from rock to rock or just hanging out in the middle of the water staring at nothing always gives me a laugh.

I'm pretty sure even if I got my dream fish, my blenny will always be my #1 homie.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for angels and butterflies. They are the most graceful and beautiful swimmers, as their names suggest. They aren't as popular for smaller tanks or for reefs, for obvious reasons.

mikeytrw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mandarin doesn't swim, she elegantly floats. The most graceful movement I've seen. The fact that she can swim basically upside down as she follows the rock face is just...cool.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
though my tang and foxface swim well, my best swimmers are my chromis. They are in constant movement from dawn to dusk. My tang and foxface, take breaks in their corner during the day. I did not have the possibilities to vote for them on your lists.
+1. My school of chromis love the very strong current coming out from the powerheads.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back