Great Swimming Fish: Who does it best?

What types of fish are the best swimmers? (Pick the top 2)

• Anthias

Votes: 60 15.4%
  • Angelfish

Votes: 49 12.6%
  • Butterfly Fish

Votes: 15 3.8%
  • Clownfish

Votes: 53 13.6%
  • Basslets

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Dartfish

Votes: 16 4.1%
  • Dragonets

Votes: 22 5.6%
  • Eels

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Rabbitfish

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • Gobies

Votes: 22 5.6%
  • Tangs

Votes: 171 43.8%
  • Wrasse

Votes: 170 43.6%

• Total voters

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I choose anthias. I love those fish so much. They look so elegant.

DiloHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went for wrasses because I used to have a red coris wrasse and it would spend all day darting around my tank. It would spend its time either burrowing or swimming. I also voted for dragonets because I love the way they scoot around in short bursts looking for pods. I currently have a Spotted Mandarin Dragonet.

Astronomical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted dartfish and gobies. Dartfish because my dad has a beautiful Zebra Barred Dartfish in his tank that flairs his fins often and darts all around, as the name suggests, and gobies because blenny was not an option. I love watching my bicolor blenny!

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple Tang and Foxface are BFF and it's nice seeing them swim by but, my favorite fish to watch is my flame hawk. Not much of a swimmer. He just perches himself on a rock or frag rack and watches me watching him.

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5C5FF239-4627-411E-8DB0-FDAF00AB81CD.jpeg
Clowns for sure. They’re simple but have tons of personality and you usually always see them in pairs interacting with each other. Definitely worth watch for a while.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not vote, as my choice as previously mentioned was my green chromis, but I want to make it more specific as there are so many way to swim.
My vote would be the following
Best endurance swimmer Green Chromis, never stop and swim face to the water flow.
Best water treader Clowns they can stay in the same spot for hours, even at night in a corner of the tank. I do not know how they sleep.
Fatest swimmer Firefish they disappear in a blink of an eye and I cannot tell where they went.
Best cruiser Hippo Tang and Foxface swim leisurely through out the tank, ignoring others.
Best explorers Sixline wrasse and Elfii angel. They are constantly checking rocks and going in and out of them.
Most unusual Pajama Cardinal. They look like a mechanical toy when they swim. They keep their body and their fins completely still when they advance, yet zero in to their target quite fast.
Best observer but poor swimmer Starry Blenny. Was continually watching what was going on around him.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for Dartfish because I love watching Firefish swimming around. They are very graceful and then, boom, they are gone. My favorite fish to watch though is not on the list. I find a large Niger Trigger to by almost hypnotic to watch. It just seems so effortless. Achilles Tangs are pretty much up there as well.

thresher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No love for hawkfish. I've always had an affinity for how they perch on the highest point and swoop down. Even better if you some small schooling fish for them to harass.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not vote, as my choice as previously mentioned was my green chromis, but I want to make it more specific as there are so many way to swim.
My vote would be the following
Best endurance swimmer Green Chromis, never stop and swim face to the water flow.
Best water treader Clowns they can stay in the same spot for hours, even at night in a corner of the tank. I do not know how they sleep.
Fatest swimmer Firefish they disappear in a blink of an eye and I cannot tell where they went.
Best cruiser Hippo Tang and Foxface swim leisurely through out the tank, ignoring others.
Best explorers Sixline wrasse and Elfii angel. They are constantly checking rocks and going in and out of them.
Most unusual Pajama Cardinal. They look like a mechanical toy when they swim. They keep their body and their fins completely still when they advance, yet zero in to their target quite fast.
Best observer but poor swimmer Starry Blenny. Was continually watching what was going on around him.
What’s an “Elfii Angelfish?” They sound similar but I can’t figure out how I know it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

comically

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangs and wrasses! I love watching my Vroliks wrasse and yellow tang swim around the tank

Back