Greater Los Angeles / So-Cal LFS List and Information

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in another thread and wanted to update it. So posting it in it's own thread for any LA Reefers out there.

This is a list of various LFS in Los Angeles and the Great LA Area that I've been to and my experience with them so far and generally what you can expect to find there.

I'll continually work on this, update it and add photos. This is a project and I want it to be complete for sure.

If you want to know if I've seen certain fish or inverts or corals at a certain store, just post a reply and I'll answer, I check R2R a too many times a day lol.

I'll let you know when based on when I was last there. My memory is pretty fantastic.

In no particular order

SAN FERNANDO VALLEY

#1 - Vivid Aquariums - 21126 Vanowen St, Canoga Park, CA 91303

They also have a HUGE Online presence from what I know so are probably known by others.

Awesome one-stop coral shop. If you have an itch for a coral you MUST HAVE right now and don't want to wait for shipping or want to see it in person 95% you'll be able to find it or a similar coral at this shop.

Even LAX Aquariums which is the biggest LFS I've found in LA has maybe 1/2 of the selection of coral they have here.

Their WYSIWYG Tank is huge and has lots of great selections. Every couple of months or so they're always throwing a sale and you can get some really awesome pieces for good prices.

Their prices are fair, you can definitely get frags for cheaper elsewhere, but to be able to get what you want, when you want it no one will beat them. in L.A.

Their fish selection while not big is still on par or better than 80% of other LFS's in L.A. never bought a fish from them, so can't speak on their health, but all corals I've bought from them were great.

Not a huge Dry goods section either, but I'm sure they really are just focused on their coral, and it shows.

-----------------------------------

#2 - Aquarium City - 21723 Sherman Way, Canoga Park, CA 91303

They've got the biggest Fish selection in the valley for sure hands down, they have a relatively large Dry goods section and you can find 90% of anything your looking for in terms of dry-goods here. That 1 off specific item though you might not find.

The staff are super helpful, there's really 1 guy there who's a Saltwater Head who really knows his stuff. The Owner as well but he's not always there, he's a super nice guy. The rest of staff are pretty knowledgeable and helpful.

Their Frag selection is limited, but they have 3 tanks (me thinks) with some full colonies or larger corals that are stunning. I'm a frag man myself as I can't force myself to buy something for $2-300 when I know I should be able to grow it out myself. Plus that's 80% of the fun.

Not sure their frag source but I think it's mainly local reefers? I've never asked.

Every 2-3 months you can pop by and see a new rotation of Frags. They've got some awesome prices on SPS Frags if you happen to be lucky, you can snag some smaller gangly ones for $20 and rehab and grow them! Only place in L.A. I've seen do something like this. Kind of smart if you ask me.

Otherwise they've got healthier ones for $40-60.

All their other LPS, softy Frags range from 20-60.

You can pick up single or dual heads of torch or hammer from here sometimes for $50-60 so that's awesome!

They have a little section in the front as well of these 6x6 inch sectional tanks that sometimes house rare or unique items. Recently had a mantis shrimp first time I'd seen one here. They've got all kinds of other cool Stars, and Inverts up there too.

----------------------------------------------------

#3 Golden State Corals - 6924 Canby Ave UNIT 113, Reseda, CA 91335

Super Limited fish selection but they have some of the most beautiful frags in the area, definitely on par in terms of nice pieces with Vivid, but about half the inventory. Priced anywhere between $30-100 per Frag for most of the LPS and Softies. You can snag a few SPS in the $80-$120 range, but they have some super awesome rare SPS going for $180+.

Super limited fish selection mainly clowns and your basic nano fish. Nothing unique or species specific that I've seen.

Also very limited Dry-goods selection, but enough to restock on your basics for sure.

---------------------------------------------------

EAST OF THE 405 (But still L.A.)

#4 Marks Tropical Fish - 11223 1/2 magnolia Blvd NOHO Arts district, North Hollywood, CA 91601

Has the best price on Anemones in the area.

Just snagged a new Green BTA for $50!

He has Carpet's and Haddon's often too under $80.

His Frag tank recently got a little re-vamp and he's got some awesome stuff in there right now as of March 2021.

Mark is almost ALWAYS there, and he's a super, duper guy. I bought my most recent tank from them just because I like him so much hahaha.

They've got an awesome fish selection not as big as LAX or Aquarium City, but his tanks are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, and I trust every single fish I buy from him.

He does often as well have Horses, and Anglers which are rare to find in shop sometimes.

He has some of the most amazing prices on rare finds as well sometimes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 Deep Blue Aquarium - 5611 Willowcrest Ave, North Hollywood, CA 91601

Deep blue has an Awesome frag Tank set up.

You can snag in one tank 5 frags for $100

and on another more rare frag tank 5 for $150.

He's got the biggest and best Zoa collection in the area IMO. I've snagged 3 rare different colored people eater Zoa frags + a stylo and a monti cap for $100 :O!!!

tons of other Softies.

When the owner is there he's a young asian male, you can also buy from his other tanks. He's got a crazy Euph tank, and tons of other Frags all over.

A lot of times his parents (I think) are there though and they are more just there to handle the register.

Not much in terms of Dry goods.

#6 Underwater Depot - 13708 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

Nice guys. In terms of selection I've never found anything unique here.

You can find anything they have at any of the above listed stores.

They don't have a frag tank set up really, 1 tank with corals, but most are in larger colonies, never seen any frags here.

He does have a larger dry-goods selection than most smaller LFS but not as big as Aquarium City or LAX Aquarium.

Knowledgeable owner and nice guy, but nothing specifically special about the store.

Got most of my CUC from him cuz I was passing by on my way home though, has a good location if you're in Sherman Oaks or nearby.

-----------------------------------------

#6A Hole in the wall fish - 13277 Van Nuys Blvd H, Pacoima, CA 91331

Smaller store, but I remember them having an exceptional Fungia Plate Coral selection. super limited dry goods.

Great prices on those fungia though. Otherwise fish selection was small as well.

Nice store, and the owners seemed nice. I think they have a super old dragon koi in the front as well they keep. was cool to see.

SOUTH OF THE 101/134

#7 Yo’s Aquarium - 5846 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90038

He has AMAZING prices on common shrimp and other inverts.

I think he also has a private azn connection and gets some amazing frags and colonies for really cheap (AZN pride).

Be sure to QT these fish though 100%. you can find some really nice colonies for good prices here though.

I always check in every now and then to see if he's got an amazing steal, he often does.

The owner is actually the guy who got me into Salt and he's REALLY nice.

#8 LAX Aquarium - 5310 W Century Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045

definitely an awesome shop. If you live in L.A. you 100% have to go at least once.

They have a shark tank and some other bigger species.

Got my golden dwarf angel from them never seen one in any other store in L.A. They have a great selection of fish constantly rotating.

They have 6 or so HUGE coral tanks as well with Frags and mini colonies.

Prices are on par with the industry. A definite awesome shop one of the best in L.A. hands down.

Huge Dry good selection and tons of equipment as well.

-----------------------------

#8A Ellis Aquatics - 2301 N Wilmington Ave, Compton, CA 90222

Super small shop, but he has some awesome prices on coral. Not much of a fish selection at all, but I imagine no one is coming here for fish. They're coming here for his 2 awesome huge frag tanks.

Gotta see it if you live in L.A.

VENTURA COUNTY

#9 Aquatic Zoo Tropical Fish - 2655 Thousand Oaks Blvd, Thousand Oaks, CA 91362

Not a bad store, but their tanks need some big time TLC, had quite a large selection of fish all different kinds. I would absolutely positively QT all fish from this store though, saw several with Ich.

Not a huge coral selection but they had some of the largest and nicest Frogspawn I've ever seen. was out of this world.

Medium to average dry goods selection.

#10 Tat Tropical Illusion - 1344 N Moorpark Rd, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

The photos online looked way better than in person. I was excited to go, but alas not much to write about. They did have a decent selection of larger fish for 100+ gallon systems, but unfortunately, that's not me.

Had 1 Coral/Frag tank, no pricing anywhere, so no idea.

Everything was well maintained though in the fish tanks.

Larger than average dry goods selection as well. Nothing special to write about beyond the larger large fish selection.

INLAND EMPIRE

#11 Jan's Tropical Fish - 5427 Moreno St # E, Montclair, CA 91763

I wish this store was much closer to me. It's an AWESOME store, very well kept, HUGE dry goods selection. Also the only store I've seen carry Eshops Sumps IN store. They have a decent array of custom Visio Glass Tanks as well with stands and canopies.

Fish all looked healthy and well maintained. They had a large variety of many different kinds of fish and inverts. Again top 5 for sure. Wish it was closer to home. Had a super small limited coral selection, don't remember anything special about it.

PASADENA, GLENDALE, ETC

#12 Tropical Fish Incorporated - 2982 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91107

often has more unique and rare items like mantis shrimp and other inverts, he also is one of the only to carry Expensive scollies in store. Nice coral selection for some unique pieces and unique inverts. Fish selection is on par with the better stores in L.A.

Owner is very few words spoken, but he's actually a super nice guy.

Large, very large dry goods area.

stores not super well maintained anymore, not sure if the pandemic had anything to do with it? But back in 2011 it was in my top 5. Now not so much beyond the fact he still has the more unique species IMO.

#13 Tropical Imports - 1134 E Colorado St, Glendale, CA 91205

Nice store, small SW selection in the back.

Everything looked healthy though, and they have several different Urchin species! Not many stores in L.A. have them.

Decent dry goods selection.

--------------

SHOPS TO STILL VISIT

Aquatic Fantasy - 541 N Pacific Coast Hwy C, Redondo Beach, CA 90277

Trekkers Tropical Fish - 22547 Hawthorne Blvd, Torrance, CA 90505

Anthony's Aquarium - 2368 Pacific Coast Hwy, Lomita, CA 90717

Age of Aquariums - 2642 Cherry Ave, Signal Hill, CA 90755

Yo Aquarium - 5846 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90038

Harry's Marine Life - 13609 Alma Ave, Gardena, CA 90249

Tiki's Tropical Fish - 9711 Alondra Blvd, Bellflower, CA 90706

Bob's Tropical Fish - 234 S Atlantic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90022

CK Fish World - 410 N Azusa Ave, West Covina, CA 91791

Last edited:

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in another thread and wanted to update it. So posting it in it's own thread for any LA Reefers out there.

This is a list of various LFS in Los Angeles and the Great LA Area that I've been to and my experience with them so far and generally what you can expect to find there.

I'll continually work on this, update it and add photos. This is a project and I want it to be complete for sure.

If you want to know if I've seen certain fish or inverts or corals at a certain store, just post a reply and I'll answer, I check R2R a too many times a day lol.

I'll let you know when based on when I was last there. My memory is pretty fantastic.

In no particular order

SAN FERNANDO VALLEY

#1 - Vivid Aquariums - 21126 Vanowen St, Canoga Park, CA 91303

They also have a HUGE Online presence from what I know so are probably known by others.

Awesome one-stop coral shop. If you have an itch for a coral you MUST HAVE right now and don't want to wait for shipping or want to see it in person 95% you'll be able to find it or a similar coral at this shop.

Even LAX Aquariums which is the biggest LFS I've found in LA has maybe 1/2 of the selection of coral they have here.

Their WYSIWYG Tank is huge and has lots of great selections. Every couple of months or so they're always throwing a sale and you can get some really awesome pieces for good prices.

Their prices are fair, you can definitely get frags for cheaper elsewhere, but to be able to get what you want, when you want it no one will beat them. in L.A.

Their fish selection while not big is still on par or better than 80% of other LFS's in L.A. never bought a fish from them, so can't speak on their health, but all corals I've bought from them were great.

Not a huge Dry goods section either, but I'm sure they really are just focused on their coral, and it shows.

#2 - Aquarium City - 21723 Sherman Way, Canoga Park, CA 91303

They've got the biggest Fish selection in the valley for sure hands down, they have a relatively large Dry goods section and you can find 90% of anything your looking for in terms of dry-goods here. That 1 off specific item though you might not find.

The staff are super helpful, there's really 1 guy there who's a Saltwater Head who really knows his stuff. The Owner as well but he's not always there, he's a super nice guy. The rest of staff are pretty knowledgeable and helpful.

Their Frag selection is limited, but they have 3 tanks (me thinks) with some full colonies or larger corals that are stunning. I'm a frag man myself as I can't force myself to buy something for $2-300 when I know I should be able to grow it out myself. Plus that's 80% of the fun.

Not sure their frag source but I think it's mainly local reefers? I've never asked.

Every 2-3 months you can pop by and see a new rotation of Frags. They've got some awesome prices on SPS Frags if you happen to be lucky, you can snag some smaller gangly ones for $20 and rehab and grow them! Only place in L.A. I've seen do something like this. Kind of smart if you ask me.

Otherwise they've got healthier ones for $40-60.

All their other LPS, softy Frags range from 20-60.

You can pick up single or dual heads of torch or hammer from here sometimes for $50-60 so that's awesome!

They have a little section in the front as well of these 6x6 inch sectional tanks that sometimes house rare or unique items. Recently had a mantis shrimp first time I'd seen one here. They've got all kinds of other cool Stars, and Inverts up there too.

----------------------------------------------------

#3 Golden State Corals - 6924 Canby Ave UNIT 113, Reseda, CA 91335

Super Limited fish selection but they have some of the most beautiful frags in the area, definitely on par in terms of nice pieces with Vivid, but about half the inventory. Priced anywhere between $30-100 per Frag for most of the LPS and Softies. You can snag a few SPS in the $80-$120 range, but they have some super awesome rare SPS going for $180+.

Super limited fish selection mainly clowns and your basic nano fish. Nothing unique or species specific that I've seen.

Also very limited Dry-goods selection, but enough to restock on your basics for sure.

---------------------------------------------------

EAST OF THE 405 (But still L.A.)

#4 Marks Tropical Fish - 11223 1/2 magnolia Blvd NOHO Arts district, North Hollywood, CA 91601

Has the best price on Anemones in the area.

Just snagged a new Green BTA for $50!

He has Carpet's and Haddon's often too under $80.

His Frag tank recently got a little re-vamp and he's got some awesome stuff in there right now as of March 2021.

Mark is almost ALWAYS there, and he's a super, duper guy. I bought my most recent tank from them just because I like him so much hahaha.

They've got an awesome fish selection not as big as LAX or Aquarium City, but his tanks are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, and I trust every single fish I buy from him.

He does often as well have Horses, and Anglers which are rare to find in shop sometimes.

He has some of the most amazing prices on rare finds as well sometimes.

#5 Deep Blue Aquarium - 5611 Willowcrest Ave, North Hollywood, CA 91601

Deep blue has an Awesome frag Tank set up.

You can snag in one tank 5 frags for $100

and on another more rare frag tank 5 for $150.

He's got the biggest and best Zoa collection in the area IMO. I've snagged 3 rare different colored people eater Zoa frags + a stylo and a monti cap for $100 :O!!!

tons of other Softies.

When the owner is there he's a young asian male, you can also buy from his other tanks. He's got a crazy Euph tank, and tons of other Frags all over.

A lot of times his parents (I think) are there though and they are more just there to handle the register.

Not much in terms of Dry goods.

#6 Underwater Depot - 13708 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

Nice guys. In terms of selection I've never found anything unique here.

You can find anything they have at any of the above listed stores.

They don't have a frag tank set up really, 1 tank with corals, but most are in larger colonies, never seen any frags here.

He does have a larger dry-goods selection than most smaller LFS but not as big as Aquarium City or LAX Aquarium.

Knowledgeable owner and nice guy, but nothing specifically special about the store.

Got most of my CUC from him cuz I was passing by on my way home though, has a good location if you're in Sherman Oaks or nearby.

-----------------------------------------

#6A Hole in the wall fish - 13277 Van Nuys Blvd H, Pacoima, CA 91331

Smaller store, but I remember them having an exceptional Fungia Plate Coral selection. super limited dry goods.

Great prices on those fungia though. Otherwise fish selection was small as well.

Nice store, and the owners seemed nice. I think they have a super old dragon koi in the front as well they keep. was cool to see.

SOUTH OF THE 101/134

#7 Yo’s Aquarium - 5846 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90038

He has AMAZING prices on common shrimp and other inverts.

I think he also has a private azn connection and gets some amazing frags and colonies for really cheap (AZN pride).

Be sure to QT these fish though 100%. you can find some really nice colonies for good prices here though.

I always check in every now and then to see if he's got an amazing steal, he often does.

The owner is actually the guy who got me into Salt and he's REALLY nice.

#8 LAX Aquarium - 5310 W Century Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045

definitely an awesome shop. If you live in L.A. you 100% have to go at least once.

They have a shark tank and some other bigger species.

Got my golden dwarf angel from them never seen one in any other store in L.A. They have a great selection of fish constantly rotating.

They have 6 or so HUGE coral tanks as well with Frags and mini colonies.

Prices are on par with the industry. A definite awesome shop one of the best in L.A. hands down.

Huge Dry good selection and tons of equipment as well.

-----------------------------

#8A Ellis Aquatics - 2301 N Wilmington Ave, Compton, CA 90222

Super small shop, but he has some awesome prices on coral. Not much of a fish selection at all, but I imagine no one is coming here for fish. They're coming here for his 2 awesome huge frag tanks.

Gotta see it if you live in L.A.

VENTURA COUNTY

#9 Aquatic Zoo Tropical Fish - 2655 Thousand Oaks Blvd, Thousand Oaks, CA 91362

Not a bad store, but their tanks need some big time TLC, had quite a large selection of fish all different kinds. I would absolutely positively QT all fish from this store though, saw several with Ich.

Not a huge coral selection but they had some of the largest and nicest Frogspawn I've ever seen. was out of this world.

Medium to average dry goods selection.

#10 Tat Tropical Illusion - 1344 N Moorpark Rd, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

The photos online looked way better than in person. I was excited to go, but alas not much to write about. They did have a decent selection of larger fish for 100+ gallon systems, but unfortunately, that's not me.

Had 1 Coral/Frag tank, no pricing anywhere, so no idea.

Everything was well maintained though in the fish tanks.

Larger than average dry goods selection as well. Nothing special to write about beyond the larger large fish selection.

INLAND EMPIRE

#11 Jan's Tropical Fish - 5427 Moreno St # E, Montclair, CA 91763

I wish this store was much closer to me. It's an AWESOME store, very well kept, HUGE dry goods selection. Also the only store I've seen carry Eshops Sumps IN store. They have a decent array of custom Visio Glass Tanks as well with stands and canopies.

Fish all looked healthy and well maintained. They had a large variety of many different kinds of fish and inverts. Again top 5 for sure. Wish it was closer to home. Had a super small limited coral selection, don't remember anything special about it.

PASADENA, GLENDALE, ETC

#12 Tropical Fish Incorporated - 2982 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91107

often has more unique and rare items like mantis shrimp and other inverts, he also is one of the only to carry Expensive scollies in store. Nice coral selection for some unique pieces and unique inverts. Fish selection is on par with the better stores in L.A.

Owner is very few words spoken, but he's actually a super nice guy.

Large, very large dry goods area.

stores not super well maintained anymore, not sure if the pandemic had anything to do with it? But back in 2011 it was in my top 5. Now not so much beyond the fact he still has the more unique species IMO.

#13 Tropical Imports - 1134 E Colorado St, Glendale, CA 91205

Nice store, small SW selection in the back.

Everything looked healthy though, and they have several different Urchin species! Not many stores in L.A. have them.

Decent dry goods selection.

--------------

SHOPS TO STILL VISIT

Aquatic Fantasy - 541 N Pacific Coast Hwy C, Redondo Beach, CA 90277

Trekkers Tropical Fish - 22547 Hawthorne Blvd, Torrance, CA 90505

Anthony's Aquarium - 2368 Pacific Coast Hwy, Lomita, CA 90717

Age of Aquariums - 2642 Cherry Ave, Signal Hill, CA 90755

Yo Aquarium - 5846 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90038

Harry's Marine Life - 13609 Alma Ave, Gardena, CA 90249

Tiki's Tropical Fish - 9711 Alondra Blvd, Bellflower, CA 90706

Bob's Tropical Fish - 234 S Atlantic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90022

CK Fish World - 410 N Azusa Ave, West Covina, CA 91791
Awesome. Really need this.

ReQuackulous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to bobs, small focused, well kept, they have an Instagram page their active on and post stock. I got to CK often cause it's close to me, but it's a hit or kiss, not big coral selection, okay fish selection. Mostly get RODI from them. They do have pretty neat freshwater auqascape stuff though

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya rainbow fish and pond has a good fish selection and a ok coral selection. Has anyone been to Uncle Sams tropical fish in Canoga park?

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s got to be nice having so many stores so close.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya rainbow fish and pond has a good fish selection and a ok coral selection. Has anyone been to Uncle Sams tropical fish in Canoga park?

I'm 90% sure he's FW only Tropical fish, but I could be wrong, I imagine I called 2 years ago when I was getting back into reefing and really scoping every store in the area lol. I live in Woodland Hills.

nabedell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to bobs, small focused, well kept, they have an Instagram page their active on and post stock. I got to CK often cause it's close to me, but it's a hit or kiss, not big coral selection, okay fish selection. Mostly get RODI from them. They do have pretty neat freshwater auqascape stuff though
CK recently moved across the street into a bigger space. I never got to the old one but they have a pretty big frag tank now. I’m just getting into the hobby so would love someone else’s second opinion on their new setup and if they sell quality fish/corals.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised you haven’t visited Unique Corals

It’s right next to Golden State
They have a bigger online focus but they have huge frag tanks and grow out tanks you can look at

I’m glad you pointed out that GSC has amazing frags. While they might not have a ton of space. They make up with having the prettiest frags for all types of corals. And being all aquaculture you can easily see the mother colony of everything they frag.

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Art's Underwater Reef - Pasadena

I've never bought anything there, so take with a grain of salt. But just walked in today...looks brand new. Healthy appearing live stock. All saltwater store.

Back