Green algae during cycle

mbixler1537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 18 days into my cycle. I went through a small amount of brown algae and now I have a small amount of green algae. I was expecting a pail green but this algae is bright almost like a kelly green. It actually looks kinda cool but wasn’t expecting it. I used ammonium Dr. Tim’s ammonium chloride last week to boost my ammonia And have been dosing with nitrifying bacteria as well. Any ideas?

OP
OP
M

mbixler1537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A photo would be good :)
It’s hard to see but there is a little bit on the top rocks. There are tiny specs in the sand as well.
image.jpg

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a whole abundance of new algae that happens when the tank starts up.

Some are cool some not so much , it’s easier for the forum to identify if we have pics , and know how stubborn it is

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full lights...I know probably a mistake but my cycle is close to finishing.

Not really a mistake more just a fast lane to ugly phase. Which goes away on its own just looks bad. You should definitley look into acclimating your lights slowly week by week. Tests your patience but imo worth it for not dealing with an ugly phase or waiting till gha/bryopsis goes away to get coral

All the best!

OP
OP
M

mbixler1537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a mistake more just a fast lane to ugly phase. Which goes away on its own just looks bad. You should definitley look into acclimating your lights slowly week by week. Tests your patience but imo worth it for not dealing with an ugly phase or waiting till gha/bryopsis goes away to get coral

All the best!
Any suggestions as to how to schedule the lights instead of what I am doing?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions as to how to schedule the lights instead of what I am doing?

I personally started with a half an hour and every week raised it a half an hour. You can do that long Boi style or 30 mins twice a day morning and later and add 30 mins to each every week till you hit 6hours and 6 hours or even 5 and 5 depending what you're doing.

Brs has a good video on light acclimation m yt brs ugly phase, and light acclimation.

All the best!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back