Green algae in RODI

rrocky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we’re moving stuff outta the garage to paint the floors and my rodi was out for a couple hours. I was gonna make water today but noticed green in the middle filter. Still reading 0 tds on the way out. Can I still use it? Or should I replace filters first? I’ve read that the algae spores won’t pass?

DB7F1016-F6A7-4164-B1BB-614486799E9D.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we’re moving stuff outta the garage to paint the floors and my rodi was out for a couple hours. I was gonna make water today but noticed green in the middle filter. Still reading 0 tds on the way out. Can I still use it? Or should I replace filters first? I’ve read that the algae spores won’t pass?

DB7F1016-F6A7-4164-B1BB-614486799E9D.jpeg
Do you keep this RODI unit in a place with light? I see natural sunlight in the picture. If so, that could definitely cause the algae bloom.

I would personally change the filter out and keep it in a dim place for the future.

Upvote 0

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen when I kept my RO/DI on the patio (covered but it got enough light to grow algae).

I continued to use it. I don't think it's a problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rrocky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s kept in the garage and I usually make water late in the afternoon when direct sunlight isn’t so bad.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rrocky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, good to know. I’ll make a small batch and order replacement filters tonight just to be sure.
I had this happen when I kept my RO/DI on the patio (covered but it got enough light to grow algae).

I continued to use it. I don't think it's a problem.

Upvote 0

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just go by the pressure gauge. It's pretty obvious when the sediment/carbon filters are clogged.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back