Green Algae on Sandbed

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All ,

This stuff is definitely having its way with my sandbed. The angels pick at it, but obviously not enough to keep it under control. Definitely not green cyano. Maybe hair algae? But it’s smaller little clumps and more rigid.

220G tank, 75G sump. FOWLR system. Been running for 4 months. 40W UV Sterilizer. Haven’t hooked up the skimmer yet, which is part of my problem.

Any recommendations on CUC? Fish that will help consume? I feed 3-4x a day, less feedings isn’t an option.

3AF59877-8958-4A61-8144-54D657B0DE52.png F6A1A293-6362-474E-8E1C-9D30C0D650AB.jpeg 459DC183-41D8-4E1B-AD1D-D3D834BB23ED.jpeg 8B832DD1-B303-4E18-995B-9FF7863EFCEE.png

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like you hit the ugly phase. Don't take my word for it thou. I am just going by what I have read. not even a week into my saltwater journey.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Turf algae, you can use a turkey baster to blast it gently and it should roll up/clump up for easy pickings for fingers or suck up with baster/ hoover. cuc nassarius snails bury in sand and mix it up a little, also conch snails, I have just ordered more cuc which includes sand sifting star fish to help my aquriam with similar problem :)

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not an algae expert but I would venture to say that not skimming is definitely feeding what ever it is. FOWLR some here might suggest a 2 or 3 day blackout to knock it back while your trying to find the root cause.

OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like you hit the ugly phase. Don't take my word for it thou. I am just going by what I have read. not even a week into my saltwater journey.

Ugly phase is usually Cyano and brown Diatoms. Definitely went through it. Sounds like you’re about to go through yours! Don’t shut off lights and let your tank do it’s thang.

Maybe Turf algae, you can use a turkey baster to blast it gently and it should roll up/clump up for easy pickings for fingers or suck up with baster/ hoover. cuc nassarius snails bury in sand and mix it up a little, also conch snails, I have just ordered more cuc which includes sand sifting star fish to help my aquriam with similar problem :)

Thinkin so. Nassarius is definitely on the list. Conch is a good suggestion!

Im not an algae expert but I would venture to say that not skimming is definitely feeding what ever it is. FOWLR some here might suggest a 2 or 3 day blackout to knock it back while your trying to find the root cause.

Blacking out as of this AM. Ordered a strainer too. As of now I don’t have a problem disturbing the sand bed. Not much nutrient build up and it’s super shallow. Yeah skimmer is definitely part of the problem. Feeding these pigs is definitely #2, lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back