Green algae taking over my sand!

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to figure out why ive got green algae all over my sand and its continuing to spread faster and faster. Even in high flow areas of the sand, the algae is starting to form... Here some tank details i think should be helpful. The tank was started on April 5th. I cant recall when the cycle finished since i forgot to write it down.

the water is originally and has always been filled with RO/DI 4 stage system when reading 0 TDS. Doing water changes every two weeks at about 18% of my 72 gallon bow front tank.

Water Parameters:
temp: 80*F (Target 78*F -- warm day today)
NH4 NO3 NO2 PO4 all 0, PH 8.3, Alkalinity 161.1 and salinity 1.026.
Tested with API kits.

Inhabitants:
2x Picasso Clowns
six line wrasse
Tricolor Anthias
Purple Firefish Goby
Lawnmower Blenny
Peppermint Shrimp

I feed twice a day (2-3 minute feeding times) with Mysis Shrimp, Hikari Mega-Marine, and Hikari Marine S. I switch between the mega-marine and mysis shrimp every other day and feed the Marine S in the evening with only a pinch (like a pinch of salt).

Running two powerheads for flow in the tank, both rated at 1050gph each. Rena Filstart XP3 filter and Red Sea Prizm Deluxe Skimmer.

So im really at a loss to where this algae is coming from but im new to the hobby so there has to be something im missing. Should i just pickup some Nassarius or Conches[FONT=lucida grande, lucida sans unicode, geogrotesque, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]? Been wanting to add coral but think it might be smart to get the algae taking care of first...[/FONT]

OP
OP
B

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh cant edit! Some pictures:

9037003121_54e28611ac_c.jpg

9039234036_525cae89d6_c.jpg

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over feeding is the main cause of excess algae growth. Try feeding less and once a day.

OP
OP
B

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally fed once every other day for 3 min feedings. Green algae was still growing in the tank. Only just recently started feeding twice a day as LFS said it would be better to do so? o_O

Bartmmackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously not being a party pooper...this is super norm for a tank that new. You will also have a diatom outbreak in a few months, I know you will say"not me" but it will happen.

My suggestion, vacuum all the crap you can, brush rocks, turn sand and don't feed more than a smidgen each day(or every-other day)

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to beat a dead horse but yes cut back on the feeding.
Do water changes and siphon out as much of the algae as u can.
You should change ur powerhead placement give ur sand bed a little more flow.

Just don't rush it and start throwing corals in... This is a hobby of patience

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats Green Cyano Bacteria.
What are you adding as far as food that contains silicates?
Whats your flow in the tank?
You can lift it off the sand bed and vacuum it out.

OP
OP
B

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose i will start feeding every other day again and see what happens. I have a water change date coming up tomorrow so ill get all the crap out of the tank! I knew i was going to get some sort of algae bloom but was hoping for the best and not having any lol. Ive had quite a bit of diatom in my tank as well that took over the back side of the tank's glass.

Dont think i can blow any more flow around the sand since its already starting to pickup with flow thats in there now. Would create a huge dust storm.

This started early so the only thing i could think of that contains a silicate would be the Sally's Mysis Shrimp frozen food. Doesnt have anything on the package that says anything about silicates though. Flow is by two powerheads rated at 1050gph each and the return jet from my Rena Filstar XP3.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they would say that they have silica in there food other wise no one would buy the food.

You don't have fish that are only meat eaters why don't u just try feeding pellet.
A my fish eat pellets, tangs wrasses goby's....
That will help out a lot.

If u don't want to do that here another thing u can do.
Take ur food out it in a container fill it with some water.
Ones it's all dissolved
Drain out all the water u can. If u have a strainer that would work best.
Then dunk just the dissolved food in there and boom.

Silica normally is in the gel they use to hold the food together before freezing it.
Good luck

OP
OP
B

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol good point. Ive got a lot of frozen food to go through so ill strain it for now. Might have to do some research to see if these products do contain silica... Water change should be by tomorrow or the following day and ill pickup all the green crap. We'll see if it comes back! Thanks everyone

OP
OP
B

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well ive done a water change and have gathered up most of the cyano but still very small pieces remain. So what is the best way to get rid of this stuff?

Ive heard of chemical/antibiotic treatment but not sure if i want to dump any chemicals into my tank. Also heard of distilled vodka dosing o_O ??? I have no corals in the tank right now and heard i can turn the lights off for 2 or so days and it will almost kill all of it. Just not sure which method is best...

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no corals then your safe to do a 3 day lights out. However more times then not it will return.
Chemiclean is a safe sure fire way to get rid of the offending bacteria.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure Elite, with GFO in it.
Vodka Dosing is for Nitrate removal

OP
OP
B

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I picked up Chemiclean already and going to give it a try. Chemipure is probably next since it goes in as media. Thanks! Hopefully this all clears up!

OP
OP
B

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean actually took care of it. Sand bed is clean now besides a few spots of diatom. So glad it worked!

Sent from my phone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372018628346.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372018628346.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 808

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I Would not have used chemiclean! I agree with Batmmackey this is normal for a tank this young, it would have gone away on its own. You problem now is that cyano was using up those nutrients and now they will build up again. Once cyano is reintroduced, or another form of algae is introduced, it will be harder to get rid of. Cyano is bacteria and you need it during cycle, the problem with stuff like chemiclean is we dont know what it is or what else it kills. You are trying to build up populations of bacteria during cycle not kill them.

Never use chemicals to get rid of algae use proper husbandry. By using proper husbandry you will learn more and be more prepared for the future or future outbreaks.

Last edited:

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Would not have used chemiclean! I agree with Batmmackey this is normal for a tank this young, it would have gone away on its own. You problem now is that cyano was using up those nutrients and now they will build up again. Once cyano is reintroduced, or another form of algae is introduced, it will be harder to get rid of. Cyano is bacteria and you need it during cycle, the problem with stuff like chemiclean is we dont know what it is or what else it kills. You are trying to build up populations of bacteria during cycle not kill them.

Never use chemicals to get rid of algae use proper husbandry. By using proper husbandry you will learn more and be more prepared for the future or future outbreaks.

I totally agree with this. I have used chemiclean on my tank before, but I don't exactly advocate it. I only used it because I kept having it pop up after the tank system was over a year old and I wanted to just wipe it out for good. It worked for that, but I really don't advocate that. At the age of that tank it would just be best to let it grow and when it dies off it dies off.

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used chemi clean in the bag and threw it in the sump by the return pump, it never did get all the silicates out but it did take 80% and it stayed that way for several months, left the bag in the sump. Established tank and it just came out of no where

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back