Green Algae

GarciaCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had green algae since day one and have used phosguard, lowering my light setting and many other things. I see that other reefers don't have this problem and have there tank is all nice with little to no algae. My phosphate 0.09ppm. Please let me know what I can do to get rid of this algae.
IMG_6668.jpg

IMG_6667.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is part of the biodiversity of the aquarium and yours seems to be on the normal side! Try adding some Turbo snails or something like that to consume the algae naturally. If you want magic in a bottle try some Vibrant from Underwater Creations Inc. per the recommended dose. You will still have algae but it does seem to delay the cleaning times on the glass.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins, turbo snails, and other critters will clean that up! Otherwise, use a magnetic glass cleaner but be careful not to get sand under the magnet!

OP
OP
G

GarciaCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins, turbo snails, and other critters will clean that up! Otherwise, use a magnetic glass cleaner but be careful not to get sand under the magnet!
I have some turbo snails in this tank and this tank is only 12gallons. Should I add more turbo snails and etc. I do have some hermit crabs also but know that those don’t help with algae

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some turbo snails in this tank and this tank is only 12gallons. Should I add more turbo snails and etc. I do have some hermit crabs also but know that those don’t help with algae

You can get some more snails or a tuxedo urchin. Honestly I really prefer tuxedo urchins as long as you keep the water clean. They are hilariously good at eating algae. However, that algae is 100% normal even in tanks with 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate. You can run your blue lights like normal. Just get the mini flipper magnet cleaner and just do a quick swipe every other day :)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid advice given here. Urchins are super workers.

As you add more biodiversity and that algae has to compete with other types of algae, they tend to keep everything in check. Part of “uglies” phase in tanks. Basically one organism has no competition and is winning... at the moment.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back