Green algea and copepod - 3 weeks cycle

linhct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends!
I’m cycling my tank for 3 weeks with 10kg live rocks I bought from a 1 year mature sps tank of the LFS, started lighting 1 week ago. Aquaforest bio bottles are dosed daily. I noticed no brown algea bloom, but the green algea is starting growing in my tank (picture below). Copepod and amphipod are observed in cheato refugium, also on the glass of the display tank (the baby ones - white dot).
NO3 - 10ppm
PO4 - 0.15ppm
Calcium - 430
PH - 8.3
Alk - 9.3
Magie - 1350
Salinity - 1025
Temp - 26.5 - 27.5
Is this normal and I can leave it there or any strong action needed? I’m using 3 snails to eat the green algea.

Thank you friends!

F5AAD75A-D8B0-44CA-A3DE-E42AED889F88.jpeg

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle is 100% done and you are now focused on reefing in general.

don’t add unprepped fish they’ll die of disease, read the disease forum to learn how to prep that tank correctly for fish

moving cycled rocks into your tank kept the original cycle in place, you didn’t start over, don’t dose bottle bacteria to this reef it’s done cycling. Any reef covered in new algae growths is done cycling, those show up only after the basal filtration layer is 100% complete.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There must be ten different ways folks use to manage algae in new tanks. My way is to clean the tank a certain way such that there’s no algae back in the setup once it’s cleaned. Others use additives, less light intensity, animals or other control means. No way is best you’ll just have to pick one. If you run my method your whole tank is free of algae in three hours. It comes back in cycles and each time you get to choose what course you want. Many would advise to do nothing, let it wreck over for months till things matured. I would never use that way but it’s very common

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know how you got so much algae so fast ;) But those are pearly white brand new rocks, which normally come with a phosphate problem. 10kg of rock is not too much, and your tank is brand new, I would suggest to research the benefits of starting with live rock compared to starting with new dry rock, you can save yourself months of algae headache by switching to live rock now (and I would cure those white rocks in a seperate container until the phosephate level read 0 before putting it back in my tank). Just my 2 cents, from my own experience, good luck.

OP
OP
L

linhct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate your comments very much. The rock in the picture is layout, it’s 100% dried before adding to my tank. And i forgot to mention that 10kg live rocks plus 4 bricks of mantis, all come from a matured tank. I will wait for 1 more week before adding the first fish and maybe 1-2 LPS. I may manually remove them and leave 1 side of of the tank with algea as food for some fish that eat algea. How about your thought for this? Certainly it’s not the right time for SPS so I forget it at the moment, then PO4 is not my biggest concern now.

OP
OP
L

linhct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the point of how fast the algea grows, I turn on the light 24/7 at the beginning of 3rd week, then, boom!

Back