Green/brown hair algae on one rock? Lighting issue?

Dwankmuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

New here and hoping to find some help with my new tank. Tank has been running for about 6 months, I've made it through quite a few different nuisance outbreaks, but can't seem to shake this green/brownish hair algae. There is a ton of this algae on the one rock circled on the left, but no algae on the rock on right side.

Info on the tank below:
  • IM 30L Tank
  • AI Prime 16 HD (when ramping in the morning and evening the colors are completely different, AI said this was normal...)
  • ~500 gph return pump & Nero 3 powerhead
  • IM BioSkim Skimmer
  • 2X filter floss on overflows
  • Phosguard
  • 2 clowns, 1 sixline, 1firefish
  • Various corals (see photo)
  • CUC with 3 hermits, dwarf ceriths, florida cerith, nassarius vibex and nerite snails
Nutrients:
  • Water changes every two weeks
  • Red sea reef sea salt
  • Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrate, PO4-P = 0 (Salifert test kits)
  • ph = 8
  • Salinity = 1.025 SG
  • Mg = 1500 mg/L
  • Ca = 460 mg/L
Is my rock just too close to the light? Or could the left light be running different spectrums? I could swap the lights and see if algae grows on the right side haha. The return is pointed directly at the rock, so there is plenty of water movement on that rock...

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

Fish Tank Algae1.JPG
Algae.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like lyngbya or chrysophytes. Will have to be scrubbed off with toothbrush and retired to tank.
Reduce white light intensity and add pitho crabs, chiton-astrea-ninja star snails and carribean blue leg hermits

OP
OP
D

Dwankmuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lyngbya or chrysophytes. Will have to be scrubbed off with toothbrush and retired to tank.
Reduce white light intensity and add pitho crabs, chiton-astrea-ninja star snails and carribean blue leg hermits
Thank you! I'm going to do some more research on those two. I scrub it with a toothbrush when I do water changes and it comes back within a few days. I had my white lights at 20%, so I will reduce that further. Time to take a trip to the local store and grab a larger CUC! Thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you! I'm going to do some more research on those two. I scrub it with a toothbrush when I do water changes and it comes back within a few days. I had my white lights at 20%, so I will reduce that further. Time to take a trip to the local store and grab a larger CUC! Thanks!
Is your tank at or near a window?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?

OP
OP
D

Dwankmuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tank is in a room with windows, but the shades are always closed since it's also my office. I am using a 4-stage RODI system, but perhaps I need to buy new filters (It has been about 6 months). Should I purchase a TDS meter to test?

This is what I have: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/4-stage-100-gpd-value-ro-di-system-aquatic-life/
TDS will indicate the amount of dissolved sediment but filters likely overdue
If there is a side that faces window, consider black construction paper on that side as the power of uv can and will penetrate blinds/shades/curtains and cause this

OP
OP
D

Dwankmuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS will indicate the amount of dissolved sediment but filters likely overdue
If there is a side that faces window, consider black construction paper on that side as the power of uv can and will penetrate blinds/shades/curtains and cause this
Thanks! The side with the "algae" is actually the furthest from the windows. I was considering removing that top rock anyway since I can't really put any coral on it. So maybe I just need to remove it from the tank...

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae is growing in that one spot because it is getting the most light and flow combination. That pump return appears to be pointed right at it. So it creates the best single location in the tank for it to grow.

Just my guess

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't stress about it too much. just make small slow adjustments.
I don't see any snails or clean up crew. Do you have any?

OP
OP
D

Dwankmuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't stress about it too much. just make small slow adjustments.
I don't see any snails or clean up crew. Do you have any?
I reduced my white by 10% (was at 20%, now at 10%), I'm going to slightly adjust the flow so it isnt jetting directly at the rock, and I will check TDS on my filtrate system...then I'll go more drastic if I have to!

Yes I have:
  • CUC with 3 hermits, dwarf ceriths, florida cerith, nassarius vibex and nerite snails

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is pretty new and still going through growing pains...which it will for another six months to a year. Try to feed more frozen than pellet or flake and do not overfeed. Keep the filter socks and protein skimmer clean. A refugium will help or an Algae Turf Scrubber. Other advice above is good too.

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, sorry I missed that in the OP...

I would add about 10 Turbo/Astrea snails to your clean up crew

OP
OP
D

Dwankmuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I bought my first CUC from reefcleaners, they are amazing!

I tried to grow chaeto at the beginning of the setup, but nutrients werent there and it died off. Maybe I should try again now that I have some livestock.

Sounds like adding a few turbos would help me as well. I'll have to grab a few!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back