Green Clown Goby or Tiger Watchman Goby?

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65g display plus 30g in sump/refugium that I'm debating on what to add next to. Tank has been running for 3yrs now and I have pods on autoship every 6 weeks. Current stock:
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Exquisite Wrasse
Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse
Splendid Pintail Wrasse
Firefish
Blue Mandarin (captive bred, have had for 2 years and running)
Starry Blenny
(not added but plan to soon) Royal Gramma Basslet
(will be added later but as last fish) Saddle Valentini Puffer

I'm thinking of rounding out the stocking with a goby, but I'm torn between a Green Clown Goby or a Tiger Watchman Goby. Which one is more entertaining to watch and would fit best with this group?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65g display plus 30g in sump/refugium that I'm debating on what to add next to. Tank has been running for 3yrs now and I have pods on autoship every 6 weeks. Current stock:
Exquisite Wrasse
Splendid Pintail Wrasse
Firefish
Starry Blenny

I'm thinking of rounding out the stocking with a goby, but I'm torn between a Green Clown Goby or a Tiger Watchman Goby. Which one is more entertaining to watch and would fit best with this group?
Go for both! You have room, the green clown will add more activity in the coral and upper water column, the watchman will be a lovely fish for the sandbed. I have 3 gobies, soon 4 in a Max Nano (20g) and there’s no war between them! Just a bit of bickering first to show territories but nothing bad.

OP
OP
Luananeko

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for both! You have room, the green clown will add more activity in the coral and upper water column, the watchman will be a lovely fish for the sandbed. I have 3 gobies, soon 4 in a Max Nano (20g) and there’s no war between them! Just a bit of bickering first to show territories but nothing bad.
I mean, I'd love to have both, but I thought I was near my limit with the royal gramma & puffer planned? If I have space for both gobies plus the royal gramma and puffer that would be fantastic!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 12 fish in a 3’x2’x2’ tank and they were heavy bipolar fish (2 tangs, a foxface and some other guys). I think it’s possible if you can keep up with WC.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B
Exquisite Wrasse
Splendid Pintail Wrasse
Firefish
Starry Blenny

Both. The gcg is so small it has almost 0 impact on bio load

Pale Morning1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GCG are awesome fish to watch. Mine pretty much does whatever he wants.

Attachments

• 50B7A63D-01F8-46E1-821C-052C5176ABD5.jpeg
    50B7A63D-01F8-46E1-821C-052C5176ABD5.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 62
  • F75C2D9C-9DDE-4D83-8497-AE4140C3CEE1.jpeg
    F75C2D9C-9DDE-4D83-8497-AE4140C3CEE1.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
Luananeko

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 12 fish in a 3’x2’x2’ tank and they were heavy bipolar fish (2 tangs, a foxface and some other guys). I think it’s possible if you can keep up with WC.
Wow! I assumed that the frequent/messy feeding required for the puffer, wrasses, and mandarin would mean I was near my limit already. Think it'd be possible to fit in a Hawkfish too then? Maybe something like this guy? https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/200/pixy-spotted-hawkfish?pcatid=200&c=15+34+200&s=ts&r=

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get both! Green clown gobies are tiny and won't add to the bioload very much! They have such a great personality! Also not sure if all those wrasses are going to out compete the mandarin for pods? I have also just finished setting up and cycling a Red sea e260 which is 70g and planning on adding 11 fish anyways so you should be fine!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get both! Green clown gobies are tiny and won't add to the bioload very much! They have such a great personality! Also not sure if all those wrasses are going to out compete the mandarin for pods? I have also just finished setting up and cycling a Red sea e260 which is 70g and planning on adding 11 fish anyways so you should be fine!
Fairy and flasher wrasses won’t go for pods, this is a common misconception with wrasses and something everyone assumes.

clarimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which kinds have you put together?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which kinds have you put together?
I have, Discordipinna griessingeri, Gobiodon acicularis, Koumansetta hectori, Stonogobiops yasha. I’m planning on having maybe 2 or 3 more in the future.
Here’s a couple photos of the current lot in order of when I got the
6F11D3B6-5E2E-441B-91A8-379FA74A2920.jpeg

43FDC80D-936C-4100-8D6A-CE10C3D109AF.jpeg
6E6DA66D-D80D-4E5E-B670-E8F39A048E20.jpeg
5BCC180E-C357-4E02-A663-A18F5B8C222D.jpeg

Last edited:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the both, they will occupy completely different niches, and with the right cover, you may go 2-3 days without seeing the clown.

I have one in a 180 with extensive stag coral and it is a treat to spy him darting up for food

will you have a pistol for the watchman?

Good luck!

OP
OP
Luananeko

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the both, they will occupy completely different niches, and with the right cover, you may go 2-3 days without seeing the clown.

I have one in a 180 with extensive stag coral and it is a treat to spy him darting up for food

will you have a pistol for the watchman?

Good luck!
Tiger Watchman Gobies don't actually pair up with pistols, and I eventually will have a Saddle Valentini Puffer, so it wouldn't be worth the risk anyways.

I did go ahead and grabbed both the Green Clown Goby and the Tiger Watchman Goby, and they've both settled in nicely. The clown goby is more hidden than I expected, but I still see him pop out at feeding time :) Thanks for the input everyone!

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiger Watchman Gobies don't actually pair up with pistols, and I eventually will have a Saddle Valentini Puffer, so it wouldn't be worth the risk anyways.

I did go ahead and grabbed both the Green Clown Goby and the Tiger Watchman Goby, and they've both settled in nicely. The clown goby is more hidden than I expected, but I still see him pop out at feeding time :) Thanks for the input everyone!
I always thought this guy was a tiger Watchman but i guess i was wrong

and i have a Valentini and predict you will love it - safe for me with peppermint shrimp and all corals so far

76C66AF9-FDD3-417B-915A-1C7184CEAC02.jpeg
D848217A-24ED-4CBE-B1A4-EC06B8DC755A.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tiger. Green clown can at times be finickly or become finicky

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They will be shy when new to the tank and you may just lose them in general, I actually lose my Acicularis clown because of the colour against the rock (Black against porous rock isn’t great).
Got any photos of the two? I assume you went with Valenciennea wardii.

OP
OP
Luananeko

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be shy when new to the tank and you may just lose them in general, I actually lose my Acicularis clown because of the colour against the rock (Black against porous rock isn’t great).
Got any photos of the two? I assume you went with Valenciennea wardii.

Yep, Valenciennea Wardii was what Live Aquaria listed for the scientific name, sorry :) No pictures of the clown goby yet because he's so small and hard to catch on camera, but here's a video of the Tiger Watchman settling in and building his burrow! (Pardon the dirty glass)

Attachments

• 20220508_184314_2.mp4
    59.8 MB

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back