Green cyano. Take action or let it ride?

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is almost to its 1 year mark, and over the past month it has developed a mild case of green cyano. It’s pretty much isolated to the sand bed and resembles more of a green dusting as opposed to the more severe thick green mats. It doesn’t matter how much I clean, it comes back within a few hours. It doesn’t have any negative effects on the tank besides looks (all corals are happy).

I’ve got a new order of snails from reef cleaners on the way to hopefully help out as well as putting my refrugium back online.

What’s everyone’s opinion on waiting it out and see if it can resolve itself? I don’t want to let it get too bad and then it be ever harder to get rid of it, but prefer to let things run their corse rather than start making a bunch of changes and adding chemicals just to get rid of something cosmetic.

Nitrate 9
Phosphate .07
PH 8.1

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture would help, the way you describe it, I would just work mechanical on it. It ubiquitous, I will be back anyways, if parameters allow for it.

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a photo

Attachments

• C67D6C43-7F04-400F-989A-A5A8AAADBE31.jpeg
    C67D6C43-7F04-400F-989A-A5A8AAADBE31.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 38

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me? I would hit it with some chemiclean.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience in two of my tanks that are 6 months behind yours, is let it ride out. I see your phosphates at .07 and nitrates at 9ppm. Keep steady to those numbers is my advise, I had those numbers and kept them there and just purchased more cuc, some cerith to be exact.

I tried at first siphoning but in two days the cyano would come right back. Came really close to using chemi-clean and be done, but I have SPS all acros in my tank and decided not to.

I gave up and just occassionally stirred it maybe once or twice and my UV picked up some of it I am sure.

However, as the cyano went away, all of a sudden now, I am battling the dreaded Dinos, I let my phosphates bottom out and nitrates get close to zero.

Hope that helps a little anecdotal caption from what I am going through.

OP
OP
Drew1900

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input. I’m going to just hold steady for the moment and see if the increased CUC and chaeto can outcompete this cyano. I’ll post an update if anything changes.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back