Green Dust Algae ?

mzolkos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I have a 3 month old 32g bio cube. I have a cuc, a Tyree mushroom coral, and a pair of clownish (1 frostbite and 1 snowflake). All my levels seem normal (No3,No2, A, ph and salinity, I have a phosphate test coming in), but after I got my fish about 2 weeks ago I started to get algae, I think it may be green dust algae. I have been using my magnet cleaner to scrap of the green algae on the tank almost daily. Any ideas on what it is or how to get rid of it? Thank you!

algae 1.jpg algae 2.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you're talking about the green stuff on the glass and not the brown stuff on your sand bed? I know it seems like a silly question based on what you wrote, but I just wanted to clarify :)

OP
OP
mzolkos

mzolkos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Any idea what the brown is either? I wasn't sure if they could be connected figured to through in a picture of both

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green is likely going to be related to your phosphate levels (once your test comes in) and/or your nitrate levels. There will always be a certain amount of that algae that grows on your glass (so unfortunately you'll always need to scrape for it or any of the other algaes/bacterial growth), but if it's getting excessive, it's usually an issue with nutrients.

As far as the brown is concerned, it's usually cyano, diatoms, or dinos. Here's a couple of questions:

1) Is it worse in the afternoon than first thing in the morning (or is it gone at night).
2) If you were to blow it with a turkey baster, would it come off in sheets/strings or disintegrate?
3) What is the source for your RO water/saltwater?
4) How long has it been going on for?
5) Do you add anything to your tank beyond fish food/water on a regular basis?
6) Does it seem to stay in the same areas of your sand or does it seem to move? Any areas worse than others (areas with high/low light or flow)?

OP
OP
mzolkos

mzolkos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply, Ill try to answer to the best I can.
1.) I think its better in the morning the snails seem to eat it over night.
2.) It seems to either disappear or ball up I can see stringy pieces.
3.) I use distilled water and mix it with instant ocean reef crystals.
4.) It started about 2 weeks ago when I got the fish.
5.) The only thing I add is sea chem prime but only for water changes.
6.) It seems worse in the front of my tank, there is almost none under the rock shaded area.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its pretty frustrating! I left it to sit for a couple days without scrubbing it I think it may be going away slowly! My snails have been eating alot of it.
Yes I bought 6 snails lol. I cleaned it off and it literally came back in 2 hours. It’s a good sign though. At least we know there’s a good biological system going on. I found some coraline growing.

OP
OP
mzolkos

mzolkos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green is likely going to be related to your phosphate levels (once your test comes in) and/or your nitrate levels. There will always be a certain amount of that algae that grows on your glass (so unfortunately you'll always need to scrape for it or any of the other algaes/bacterial growth), but if it's getting excessive, it's usually an issue with nutrients.

As far as the brown is concerned, it's usually cyano, diatoms, or dinos. Here's a couple of questions:

1) Is it worse in the afternoon than first thing in the morning (or is it gone at night).
2) If you were to blow it with a turkey baster, would it come off in sheets/strings or disintegrate?
3) What is the source for your RO water/saltwater?
4) How long has it been going on for?
5) Do you add anything to your tank beyond fish food/water on a regular basis?
6) Does it seem to stay in the same areas of your sand or does it seem to move? Any areas worse than others (areas with high/low light or flow)?
My test came in (finally), phosphates read at 0, is that normal?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back