OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. They are almost definitely higher than the test suggests.

Could be the sun, although with the blinds closed it doesn't get a ton of sun, but maybe it's enough to contribute.

I could be feeding too much. I feed once a day and either 1/4 cube of frozen or some flakes or pellets.

If you have enough snails to eat the GHA, you don’t to add or adjust anything.
I definitely don't have enough cuc, but they have been hard to come by since this pandemic started. And all the places I usually order from aren't shipping livestock because they can't guarantee they will arrive on time. It's frustrating! I'm still waiting for the turbo's I bought a few weeks ago to start making any sort of dent in the gha.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. They are almost definitely higher than the test suggests.

Could be the sun, although with the blinds closed it doesn't get a ton of sun, but maybe it's enough to contribute.

I could be feeding too much. I feed once a day and either 1/4 cube of frozen or some flakes or pellets.

I definitely don't have enough cuc, but they have been hard to come by since this pandemic started. And all the places I usually order from aren't shipping livestock because they can't guarantee they will arrive on time. It's frustrating! I'm still waiting for the turbo's I bought a few weeks ago to start making any sort of dent in the gha.
I had very good luck buying Mexican turbos from LiveAquaria 4 weeks ago. All survived and annihilated all algae in the tank. On the down side, I am now feeding thesnails dried algae sheets to keep them alive!

PerculaBen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely don't have enough cuc, but they have been hard to come by since this pandemic started.
John at reefcleaners.org is shipping. My third order is coming this weekend, including 2 Mexican turbos.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had very good luck buying Mexican turbos from LiveAquaria 4 weeks ago. All survived and annihilated all algae in the tank. On the down side, I am now feeding thesnails dried algae sheets to keep them alive!
John at reefcleaners.org is shipping. My third order is coming this weekend, including 2 Mexican turbos.
Unfortunately neither places ship to Canada. :(

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah sorry! Work has been crazy busy! Too many late nights.

I did my first full dose of waste away on Sunday after I did my water change. So next dose should be this sunday. I am keeping up with my 0.7ml vodka/day. So far no ill effects to any inhabitants and no bacterial blooms.

I am still seeing algae growth, but doing nightly brushing of the rocks along with manual removal seems to be keeping it in check. Some places are looking better other the same or a little more algae.

I will post water params and some pictures later on today.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some photos of how the tank is looking today. Still seeing new growth, but trying to keep it in check with scrubbing the rocks daily.

I wonder if it's worth taking half the rocks out one water change, remove all the algae I can and then do the other half a week later?

DSC_0185.JPG DSC_0183.JPG DSC_0182.JPG

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m losing the gha battle too at the moment. Water changes and trying to pull off rocks. Just appears in other rocks. I have a ton of cuc including recenty pitho crabs bit it’s getting to the point it’s almost in every crevice of the tank

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been awhile since I did an update. Rocks are looking a bit better with my daily scrubbing. I am noticing some growth on the back wall though.

Been keeping nutrients low with vodka dosing and waste away. I am going to be on vacation for a week so we will see what the tank looks like when I get home

DSC_0197.JPG DSC_0196.JPG DSC_0195.JPG

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been busy of late with a few week long camping trips. Tank is still pretty algea filled.

Getting a bit better on the rocks, but the back wall has exploded with gha.

I've been keeping up with vodka dosing and weekly waste away dosing. Also been doing weekly water changes although that has slipped with the camping.

How can I get a head on this? I find if I do multi water changes in a week. My all, call and mag get pretty high.

DSC_0201.JPG DSC_0202.JPG DSC_0203.JPG DSC_0204.JPG DSC_0205.JPG DSC_0206.JPG

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been busy of late with a few week long camping trips. Tank is still pretty algea filled.

Getting a bit better on the rocks, but the back wall has exploded with gha.

I've been keeping up with vodka dosing and weekly waste away dosing. Also been doing weekly water changes although that has slipped with the camping.

How can I get a head on this? I find if I do multi water changes in a week. My all, call and mag get pretty high.

DSC_0201.JPG DSC_0202.JPG DSC_0203.JPG DSC_0204.JPG DSC_0205.JPG DSC_0206.JPG
Flux rx

say bye bye

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really hoping to not have to resort to using chemicals, but it's looking more and more like I will have to.

Looks like it's also pretty hard to get in Canada.

Algaewarrior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some success with continuum aquatics bacter clean m. Its basically a faster acting vibrant that uses bacteria to consume the gha. Flux rx is fluconazole which is used for humans as an antifungal as well as yeast infection medication. Thus, harder to come by in Canada. I just got done treating my tank with flux rx and it did a pretty good job. I rubberbanded my algae scraper to the end of my siphon hose to get my back wall clean. Another thing to keep in mind when dealing with algae is lighting. Too much will just fuel the fire.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some success with continuum aquatics bacter clean m. Its basically a faster acting vibrant that uses bacteria to consume the gha. Flux rx is fluconazole which is used for humans as an antifungal as well as yeast infection medication. Thus, harder to come by in Canada. I just got done treating my tank with flux rx and it did a pretty good job. I rubberbanded my algae scraper to the end of my siphon hose to get my back wall clean. Another thing to keep in mind when dealing with algae is lighting. Too much will just fuel the fire.

I will give it a try. Maybe bacter clean m, waste away and vodka dosing is the trick. I will see if I can get my hands on some flux rx. If I can I will give it a try.

haha I actually did the same thing today with my scrapper. Worked great with the wall of algae on the back. My one clownfish isn't happy with it since that's where he slept...

I have a radion xr 30 for lighting. It's on the LPS setting, 25% intensity. Gets some sunlight from the window, but the blinds are closed 95% of the time. Unless I want to take pictures of the tank.

AJQ69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flux RX is going to be salvation, I tried the Dr Tims stuff and didn't work, Flux cleaned all the GHA I had in my tank within 10 days

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back