Green Hair Algea

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cant seem to get this algea under control with nutrients alone... since the crash
i decided to let everything be and not even test for awhile becuase watever else was going to happen i cant stop....anyway forward 2 monts and things seem to be giong great now! except for this dang algea...most like the fact that i have only 4 turbos a few blue leg hermits and 2 emeralds...so they have alot of food to eat and they are not quick about it...even thought i realize that a 75g tank shoul dhave more but it just seems like whats recommeneded is way way to many things living in a tank. my water perams are perfect except that my calcium is off the charts...ive done 3 30% water changtes and a few top offs but nothing out of the ordinary im not dosing anything so that is kind of confusing.

any advice on the calc or algea is great...thanks

SSLVRNBLK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing phosphate? What is that reading? You will need to find where the nutrients are coming from long term. But In the mean time I would gets Fluconazole which people have raved about and dose that. I would also add a Reactor with some phosguard or some GFO. I’d siphon out as much as you can well doing your water changes. Because right now the phosphates you do have are being consumed by your algae. You want that to stop so the GFO or Phosguard will remove it from the water column and not feed the algae you have now. Now I’m only going by what worked for me and in this hobby there are many different ways to get to the same place. Hope this helps!

SSLVRNBLK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I thought.. that’s a false reading it reads this because the algae is consuming it. Do run a sump? Filter socks?

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal by hand and increased cuc is always preferred. I was going thru this and it was still gaining on me. I finally broke down and did the flucanazole treatment. Last resort only because it may cause other issues.
In my case after It cleared out gha, Cyrano started up strong. From what I gather the gha kept the Cyrano down. Always a give and take it seems.
Something to consider. I'm sure others with more experience may have a better game plan for you.
Good luck.

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing phosphate? What is that reading? You will need to find where the nutrients are coming from long term. But In the mean time I would gets Fluconazole which people have raved about and dose that. I would also add a Reactor with some phosguard or some GFO. I’d siphon out as much as you can well doing your water changes. Because right now the phosphates you do have are being consumed by your algae. You want that to stop so the GFO or Phosguard will remove it from the water column and not feed the algae you have now. Now I’m only going by what worked for me and in this hobby there are many different ways to get to the same place. Hope this helps!
Manual removal by hand and increased cuc is always preferred. I was going thru this and it was still gaining on me. I finally broke down and did the flucanazole treatment. Last resort only because it may cause other issues.
In my case after It cleared out gha, Cyrano started up strong. From what I gather the gha kept the Cyrano down. Always a give and take it seems.
Something to consider. I'm sure others with more experience may have a better game plan for you.
Good luck.

omg i get it . the algea is eating it as fast as its appearing...so i actually am producing phosphate but it doesnt have enough time to build of for a reading before the algea eats it
that totally makes more sense to me now...thanks@

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back