Green haze (algae?) in TM Part C - don’t dose?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have my TM part C on a doser and have noticed lately that the glass dosing bottle gets a little greenish haze on the bottom. I clean it with soap and water between fills so about every 1-2 weeks, but it is always comes back. I’m assuming it would not be a good idea to continue dosing it with this algae in it, but wanted to check.

I may have to stop being lazy and just manually dose it if that is the case. Pic attached, but can’t super tell in it.

DE4445EB-212E-4593-B4DE-F4BD95B705F4.jpeg DEE241F0-B0A1-418D-9B02-9F55C6B25C80.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tried the vinegar part, good idea. I’ve done soap before.
I've found that on things like dosing containers and reagent vials soaking with just a bit of water and vinegar does a fairly bang-up job of getting a lot of hidden crap off. Followup with a microfiber dry.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably just algae growing and I'd clean it periodically to reduce it, but it's not any bigger effect on the tank water than that same amount of algae growing somewhere in your tank system.

Perhaps you diluted it more than normal for dosing? That will encourage growth in it.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is probably just algae growing and I'd clean it periodically to reduce it, but it's not any bigger effect on the tank water than that same amount of algae growing somewhere in your tank system.

Perhaps you diluted it more than normal for dosing? That will encourage growth in it.
Good to know, I was curious if the algae would “bind” some of the elements in there and make it so dosing wasn’t beneficial.
I don’t believe I have been diluting it, I follow the instructions on the box; however, the dosing container is next to my controller which has light on 24/7. This is what I was assuming was allowing the algae to grow?

Thanks Randy!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back