Green Mantis

dhanking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of buying a Green Mantis Shrimp, or Gonodactylellus viridis and I was wondering if it could break my 1 cm thick glass walls? Also I have many corals, soft, hard everything and would it be compatible with those or will I have to get an even smaller mantis shrimp? And I do plan on getting many fish such as tangs, angels, stuff on the bigger side. Would a mantis shrimp of 2 inches try to hurt those?

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of buying a Green Mantis Shrimp, or Gonodactylellus viridis and I was wondering if it could break my 1 cm thick glass walls? Also I have many corals, soft, hard everything and would it be compatible with those or will I have to get an even smaller mantis shrimp? And I do plan on getting many fish such as tangs, angels, stuff on the bigger side. Would a mantis shrimp of 2 inches try to hurt those?
A small smashing type Mantis Shrimp will probably not bother larger fish. However, they are predators. A spearing type Mantis is another story and I would only keep fish with a spearing mantis if they were intended as prey. Mantis Shrimp can make rewarding pets since they are very intelligent crustaceans with incredible eyesight that is on another level compared to human vision. Mantis Shrimp are also subject to much urban legend. In my 30 years experience I have never seen a Mantis Shrimp break or shatter aquarium glass. Nor, do I personally know of anyone who has. You always hear stories of "I know somebody who's tank was shattered" or "My buddy had one and blah blah blah...". Could a Mantis break glass? It is possible if it was a large specimen in an aquarium with thinner glass panels. I think your aquarium with 1cm thick walls would suffice. Unfortunately, we don't have any Mantis Shrimp in stock for drop ship from our CA facility but we have been getting a few here and there on our Diver's Den WYSIWYG Store. I have requested more Mantis Shrimp so hopefully we will have some to offer on Diver's Den in the next few weeks. Let us know if you have any more questions. Great topic and questions! Stay safe!

Last edited:

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding any damage a mantis would do to coral would be accidental. Coral in wrong place wrong time sort of thing

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about corals though?
Are you still looking for a mantis? I have a small green one that was a hitchhiker if your interested. Just cover shipping costs unless your near Orlando.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I’d love him if you think you could ship in a medium flat rate priority box to 95842! Or if there a faster way that’s still cheap!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Omg I’d love him if you think you could ship in a medium flat rate priority box to 95842! Or if there a faster way that’s still cheap!
I probably could but it would be $45 shipping to get to CA. PM me if you’re interested.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I call glasssmashing a myth. They have a shell, not a metal hammer and unless it is cheap plastic, , , i would not be concerned. Provide good hiding and sufficient food source to keep it from wanting to smash everything in sight

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I call glasssmashing a myth. They have a shell, not a metal hammer and unless it is cheap plastic, , , i would not be concerned. Provide good hiding and sufficient food source to keep it from wanting to smash everything in sight
Totally agree. This guy makes noise but no concern on tank integrity

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still looking for a mantis? I have a small green one that was a hitchhiker if your interested. Just cover shipping costs unless your near Orlando.

ah man if I had a tank ready I’d pay all of the shipping. Dang. I don’t even have a reefractometer tho :(

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw man I’m so jealous! You should definitely post some pics @IKD I asked my gf earlier and it’s a no so I’ll have to live vicariously through the forum for probs another year at least. We love in an apartment and aren’t sure if we are gonna switch apartments next year yet or not or what’s gonna happen once I graduate... lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back