Green Slimer SPS bleaching in one spot on stem?

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So my green Slimer is on a frag rack and I noticed that part of the body and first bit of the branch is bleaching or dead? I am not sure. Since this part of the Slimer was in the shadow do you think this was why?

Recently I had some pretty heavy temperature dips because of my own stupidity and the heating in my house broke and I'm in Canada and it's winter lol. But it didn't go below 73 and I got it back to 78 pretty quick.

I digress, the part of the Slimer that's bleached or dead was in the shadows. Do you think this is why? I have attached a picture however keep in mind I turned the Slimer around so you can see it in the photo and in case the light was the issue.

Any advice? Thanks!

Snapchat-689723801.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that when it started shadowing itself. So it's very possible that light was the issue.
That's the only thing I can think man because honestly the rest of it is very green and puffy.

My lights just turned off and I took a pic of the skeleton since the polyps have gone in

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the only thing I can think man because honestly the rest of it is very green and puffy.

My lights just turned off and I took a pic of the skeleton since the polyps have gone in

You can either move it, or let it do its thing and it will grow new tissue in the light. I left mine alone and it ended up growing over the dead parts once parts grew out of the shadow

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green slimers are very hardy i dont think its the temp drop for one maybe test your alk try to keep it steady try not to have more then 1 dkh drop over night plus slimers will grow in medium light also slimers are hardy with alk changes also need alot of flow also try keep salinity steady, im little confused your other sps look fine

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green slimers are very hardy i dont think its the temp drop for one maybe test your alk try to keep it steady try not to have more then 1 dkh drop over night plus slimers will grow in medium light also slimers are hardy with alk changes also need alot of flow also try keep salinity steady, im little confused your other sps look fine
Yeah I think it's hopefully nothing to worry.

Maybe you can help but I have a stupid chemistry issue. All my levels are high. Alk, mg, and calc, are all high and I CANNOT get them low because the salt I use which is fritz rpm pro salt literally just adds more. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do. Like do I continue to do water changes or?

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because damsels are notorious for killing areas of green slimers to lay their eggs on. That’s what it looks like to me. Corals don’t usually necrosis in that pattern.
That's odd. I don't think it's that since my damsel is still somewhat young

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd. I don't think it's that since my damsel is still somewhat young
Its very common with damsels. Regardless that is not normal tissue recession. Meaning it looks like some sort of physical damage instead of parameter issues.

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your saying all your levels are high,
Note: are you dosing?, if those are the only sps you have then i would stop dosing and test alk frequently like every 2 or 3 days and log it, then when alk starts to drop dose min amount.
Note: i use salt on my tanks with the dkh i aim for and stick with that salt,
Note:You will have to see how tank matures over time the sps will suck up alk as tank and corals mature,
I use salifert test kits , and i made sure i was using them right youtube
Note: I know some seasoned sps keepers and they use salt with high alk.
So basically its all you call

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your saying all your levels are high,
Note: are you dosing?, if those are the only sps you have then i would stop dosing and test alk frequently like every 2 or 3 days and log it, then when alk starts to drop dose min amount.
Note: i use salt on my tanks with the dkh i aim for and stick with that salt,
Note:You will have to see how tank matures over time the sps will suck up alk as tank and corals mature,
I use salifert test kits , and i made sure i was using them right youtube
Note: I know some seasoned sps keepers and they use salt with high alk.
So basically its all you call
Nope not dosing. All.is high without dosing. I have an apex so it's always testing. Idk if me not doing water changes is what I need to do until it's at a normal level. Right now it's at 11.5

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back