Green Star Polyp "allergy" to Reef Roids?

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So for the last 1/2 to 1 month I have been feeding reef roids to my tank, most for my cucumber, flame scallop, and corals, and it's done a lot for the biodiversity as it's dosing zooplankton essentially.

However, I notice whenever I dose that my GSP will close up completely. The first time I dosed it I spot fed my green star polyp and it proceeded to close up for 6 days.

Does it just take a while to eat or does the coral not like it?

And before you spam the comments, yes- I know green star polyps do not require feeding and they feed off of the water nutrients mostly- but feeding can improve their health from what i've seen in other foods too.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read GSP doesn’t has the ability to directly accept spot feeding.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen that no.
Roid intolerance?

And yes , each gsp polyp has a mouth, soo...

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I've thought that they may be eating it, but unlike some of the other corals they don't re-open until the next morning - tank-wide - and I have a rather large area covered in them. TBH, I also usually mix in Goniopower, Reef Chili, Zoplan, and Golden Pearls with the RRoids. Maybe today I will use only Roids and note the GSP response.

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will retract the polyps a bit when the RRoids is floating around in the water. To me, they are capturing food and eating.

reefjonny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just did my 3rd (once a week) coral feeding using reef roids. I turn off the pumps and only leave on the wave maker allowing for the food to make it to the corals. This was the first time my GSP completely shut down and contracted. After 30 minutes I turned my pumps back on and now it's almost back to normal. once the pumps were back on it seemed to open back up.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back