Green tinted water, is uv the only way?

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I got a 6+ months new reef tank 45g + 25g sump.
Got about 27 frags from various sps lps and softies all are thriving and growing.

My params are:

Ca: 450
Mg: 1450
Kh: 8.7-9
No3: 2.5 been steady for over 3 months now
Po4: 0.04 Steady aswell (Hanna)
Salt: 1.026

2 weeks ago i added chaeto and it seems to grow aswell.

Last week i saw my water getting like a light tint of green color, upon searching the net i found that it could be an algae bloom. The water looks like when you ad amino acids or red sea aminos and it gets a light green almost glowing effect, i do have very high blues on my hydra so maybe thats why it looks like its glowing.

Ive been fighting cyanos both red and green for the majority of the tanks life, last 3 weeks it almost dissapeared but now its coming back.. theres only patches of it not full coverage so im happy about that.
I tryed cyano x the bacteria bottle, and im not sure if it did anything, so i bought the mud from aquaforest and started adding it once a week, it seems that a combination of those 2 made the cyano go away.

it still never fixed the cyano problem but it seems to keep it at a low growth.

Im really wondering why i got the green tint in my water column and how to get rid of it, is the only way a uv-sterilizer?

Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add live zooplankton like copepods and rotifers. You could also simply get a cheap UV like the green killing machine and then take it out (and rinse it) once you are done. A green tank filled with phtyo is like putting me in a room with a crab leg buffet. Soon the crab legs disappear.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back