Green vs Red/Purple vs Brown Nori

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the main differences in the types of nori we feed our tanks? I've seen green as a sort of daily feeder, red/purple as one you use to fatten up a weak fish, and not sure about what brown is for. Does anyone have a breakdown of what these different types of nori are actually used for?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure as for the nutritional value between each type. On the packaging for some of the name brands out there it appears the nutritional value is very similar. I feed green, red and purple daily. As for Brown I don't see it often and have not made any effort to purchase any.

As for certain fish preference it may vary. I've seen some tangs, angels, rabbit fish, wrasses and blennies prefer only one or two options. Some won't touch certain varieties.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure as for the nutritional value between each type. On the packaging for some of the name brands out there it appears the nutritional value is very similar. I feed green, red and purple daily. As for Brown I don't see it often and have not made any effort to purchase any.

As for certain fish preference it may vary. I've seen some tangs, angels, rabbit fish, wrasses and blennies prefer only one or two options. Some won't touch certain varieties.

Brown is hard to find, but I was able to get some. It has a much different texture than green and red. My fish are currently going crazy over it, but only when stacked with green. I put a sheet of the brown in the other day, and they seemed to be mostly indifferent to it. I was hoping someone could break things down a bit more for me. I know a lot of information in this hobby is anecdotal, but there is a lot of science available as well these days.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my sail fin Green and very rarely red, I'd love to hear more about this. Also curious about Kelp, I have some and it's a completely different consistency and my tang did not want any part of it

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue and yellow tang. I alternate between green and purple. Not sure there is a big difference just variety. I tried red and they didnt seem to like it.

Back