Green Wire Algae help!

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have been dealing with Green Wire Algae (NOT green hair algae) for several months now. I have been managing it by pulling, scrubbing and vacuuming it out. Interestingly enough it is only on my very top two rocks. I was really wondering if anyone has used Vibrant to get rid of this type of algae? Lmited information in what algae it treats and BRS video seemed to show all but this. I have a yellow and a yellow eye tang plenty of clean up crew.

Thanks!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to consider removing these rocks and using a toothbrush with H2O2 and spot scrubbing... being careful not to touch any corals.

@brandon429 has discussed this previously in some threads... he might be able to give some additional tips.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think its lucky that its all top growth, we're usually dealing with murphy's law down low/take apart the whole scape to get there-type growth.

can you post a pics showing the issue

for anchored invaders in our work threads we use knives, brushes wont dislodge the anchors as well. Its using the knife tip point in a precision gouging manner to dislodge the anchored algae and take small bits of rock if needed, this really gets it undone. You dont have to do all your rocks, do a good size test section this way and compare it to your current methods.

only after you handled this example area like a dentist handles teeth in need of plaque debriding, then add peroxide on the cleaned spots, the scraped spots, and let it sit in the absence of any plants burning what holdfasts might be left for a few mins.

rinse that spot off w saltwater and put the example rock back and let us know if growback is better neutral or worse compared to current approaches. **we collect these test rock examples in big work threads / would enjoy your documentation too if poss
B

Im now into test-rocking vs experimenting with water-dosers and whole tank approaches. those may work, but they work better as preventatives when we've caused the algae-free condition by matching the removal tool to the species. Cyano is easily removed with a brush action, but not gha and cousins

scrape n burn ha nice/no kid gloves. a tortoise biting a reef/pooping sand and extracting algae from that bite isn't kid-gloving. we're doing that but on a controlled small scale and no ingestion ha nice

OP
OP
Topreefer92

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191203_185729.jpg

Love the ideas, I already spot dose hydrogen peroxide and it slowly removes it. Problem with removing the rock is it is cemented/glued/acrylicrod to other rocks that are as well. That would be a royal poa. I will do some work inside the tank like you mentioned. I have had alot of algae in tanks and this is not the worst.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we can implement a rasping section it might stay gone in testing

We have done creative drain access for locked in structures! Drain and catch a quarter of the water for quick re use. Rasp the areas in the air still, use wet paper towels to be scooping and wiping up raspings don't let them fragment back in. Burn the area with direct peroxide drops while drained wait a few mins and refill.

The only organism that could die from that level of internal peroxide bleed off is a lysmata shrimp, nothing else in reefing is as sensitive. And at a full controlled application on target of a few drops diluted in that much refill, I expect even lysmata to survive. You can still access outside of water and reuse your taken water when you are done

All my work in my pico was drain access. Look how tough my shrimp was, this was 35% runoff :) in one gallon. Yours is orders nicer. This pico reef is being subjected to absolute burning and is unphased. 3% is kid glove water ha nice but at least it can't blind you with one mistake. 35% shouldn't likely be legal to possess lol but it is, and we burn our own reefs with it before recommending the practice to others. My reef doesn't have algae, I've blasted it with more peroxide than any reef in history to avoid avoiding my own medicine. Anything recommended we surpassed ninefold in testing/ my own $ on the line. I was trying to burn off a red mushroom using direct 35% contact in air several mins under full drain, sps and all.

Harmless, the shroom opened wide in three hours. My tank is nearly immune to peroxide it's going on 10 yrs of straight unneeded dosing testing. Left in the palm of our hand five mins, what I put on that shroom would send us to the hospital for 3rd degree caustic burns. Yet the $5 shroom develops full immunity/go figure

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back