Greetings and ? about Red People Eaters that won't open

deepseabc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! New to R2R but been in and out of the hobby for years. Only recently started getting serious about corals. Quick question about some Red People Eater Zoas. I bought a huge colony of a guy (2x the size of a softball) and no matter where I move them in the tank I can't get them all to open. They aren't dying, it's only about 50% that are open at any time. Water parameters are fine, and basically all my other zoas are fine. Of note I fragged off about a golf ball size from this colony and it's doing the same thing in a completely different tank. Any insights would be appreciated. In the interim I'll go troll the forums to see if others are having the same problem.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! We’re glad you joined us!

I would try dipping them in a coral dip to see if any pests or algae is preventing them from opening fully.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and YES to inspecting for zoanthid pests! IME when they are present you will see partial colony opening and closing.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!
Goofy Movie Hello GIF

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! New to R2R but been in and out of the hobby for years. Only recently started getting serious about corals. Quick question about some Red People Eater Zoas. I bought a huge colony of a guy (2x the size of a softball) and no matter where I move them in the tank I can't get them all to open. They aren't dying, it's only about 50% that are open at any time. Water parameters are fine, and basically all my other zoas are fine. Of note I fragged off about a golf ball size from this colony and it's doing the same thing in a completely different tank. Any insights would be appreciated. In the interim I'll go troll the forums to see if others are having the same problem.
Welcome!

Glad you joined. Deferring to others as don't have Red People Eaters among my zoas

OP
OP
D

deepseabc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! We’re glad you joined us!

I would try dipping them in a coral dip to see if any pests or algae is preventing them from opening fully.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot this weekend, probably should have thought of this before. They just never got worse, so I assumed they would eventually acclimate.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back