Greetings from Rockford, Illinois

SkipperBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following the moderator's advice, I'll provide a brief introduction as a new member. I've been keeping fish since the 60's and should be a whole lot better than I am. Started with freshwater and eventually moved to saltwater. I was fortunate that my wife enjoyed the hobby too. In 1995, we set up our current tank, a 225-gallon acrylic. Started as only saltwater fish, but later we picked up some easy corals without much thought of what we were doing. There were good years and bad years, funny stories, and catastrophes. Our kids treated the fish as pets, for better and worse. Life. During the pandemic we decided on another equipment upgrade. The Neptune Apex formed the backbone which started us watching YouTube videos leading us toward the reefing end of the hobby. I knew it would never be the same when my wife suggested Reef-A-Palooza in Chicago next month. So, since we have been turning to R2R for advice from time to time, we thought it would be good to officially join. Also, we don't personally know any other reefers in the Rockford/Belvidere area, so this seemed like the next best thing.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following the moderator's advice, I'll provide a brief introduction as a new member. I've been keeping fish since the 60's and should be a whole lot better than I am. Started with freshwater and eventually moved to saltwater. I was fortunate that my wife enjoyed the hobby too. In 1995, we set up our current tank, a 225-gallon acrylic. Started as only saltwater fish, but later we picked up some easy corals without much thought of what we were doing. There were good years and bad years, funny stories, and catastrophes. Our kids treated the fish as pets, for better and worse. Life. During the pandemic we decided on another equipment upgrade. The Neptune Apex formed the backbone which started us watching YouTube videos leading us toward the reefing end of the hobby. I knew it would never be the same when my wife suggested Reef-A-Palooza in Chicago next month. So, since we have been turning to R2R for advice from time to time, we thought it would be good to officially join. Also, we don't personally know any other reefers in the Rockford/Belvidere area, so this seemed like the next best thing.
Welcome! WOW - I look forward to learning from you. There are others going WAY back on here too. The changes you must have seen. Paul has talked about how dried ants were like the only fish food in the early early days, but you might have had different experiences being a couple of states over.

Glad you both joined.

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! By far the best place for reefing information on the internet.

Feel free to ask anything you need help with and you will be amazed at the responses you get. Everyone is so willing to help all the time.

You will make lifelong friends and have a blast here with us! Glad you found your way here.

Happy Monday!

Paralympic Games Sport GIF by International Paralympic Committee

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%

Back