grey spongelike thing on SPS

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1665843064501.jpeg

Is this a sponge?

Sorry for blurry picture, it is all the way in the back of my tank, but it is growing over my SPS coral, I don't know what the white stuff is either that is on the grey sponge thing

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sponges that do well in aquaria do not like bright light. So in all likelyhood the sponge will disappear. If psooible try to match lighting conditions the frag grew in. There are a couple photosynthetic species taht do well in bright light and can be an issue for corals. A black one is very problemtatic as it is very invasive and quickly encrusts corals but it does not loook like you have that one. The others that tolerate bright light I've never had issue with in all the years I've been keeping reef systems. Also, there are a lot of cryptic sponges ubuquitous to reef ssytems and are beneficial recycling the DOC produced by various organisms. You likely already have some growing in your system and it's only the ones that do well in bright light that "might" be an issue. The characterisitc to look for is if they do best around existing corals.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sponges that do well in aquaria do not like bright light. So in all likelyhood the sponge will disappear. If psooible try to match lighting conditions the frag grew in. There are a couple photosynthetic species taht do well in bright light and can be an issue for corals. A black one is very problemtatic as it is very invasive and quickly encrusts corals but it does not loook like you have that one. The others that tolerate bright light I've never had issue with in all the years I've been keeping reef systems. Also, there are a lot of cryptic sponges ubuquitous to reef ssytems and are beneficial recycling the DOC produced by various organisms. You likely already have some growing in your system and it's only the ones that do well in bright light that "might" be an issue. The characterisitc to look for is if they do best around existing corals.
ok thanks

Back