Grey spots on tangs head.

Don's tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I noticed these Grey spots on my tangs head. They appear the be in the same area on both sides and roughly the same size. I did do a major reshaping yesterday and removed quite a bit of the rocks. Does this look like a disease/parasite or is it possible the he got pinched at some point while I was moving around the rocks.

20230129_091447.jpg 20230129_091335.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This morning I noticed these Grey spots on my tangs head. They appear the be in the same area on both sides and roughly the same size. I did do a major reshaping yesterday and removed quite a bit of the rocks. Does this look like a disease/parasite or is it possible the he got pinched at some point while I was moving around the rocks.

20230129_091447.jpg 20230129_091335.jpg
This is head erosion associated with HLLE and is often caused by a few factors below. Often improving water quality and diet will help improve, Not always heal it completely.
Some causes are :
Poor water quality ( elevated nitrate and ammonia)
High use of carbon
Inadequate diet (feeding flakes and pellets)
high copper exposure

Maintain good water quality and use good quality test kits for accuracy. Feed foods such as:
LRS Herbivore diet
Formula 2 frozen
Mysis shrimp
Spirulina brine shrimp
plankton
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

ADD SELCOM VITAMINS TO FOODS OCCASIONALLY FOR IMMUNITY HEALTH

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that looks like HLLE, that issue does not show up overnight. If you are certain that these lesions showed up in 24 hours or less and did not develop slowly over time, gradually getting larger and deeper, then I would say this is a injury, from being stuck into some rocks while you were working on the tank.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Don's tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is head erosion associated with HLLE and is often caused by a few factors below. Often improving water quality and diet will help improve, Not always heal it completely.
Some causes are :
Poor water quality ( elevated nitrate and ammonia)
High use of carbon
Inadequate diet (feeding flakes and pellets)
high copper exposure

Maintain good water quality and use good quality test kits for accuracy. Feed foods such as:
LRS Herbivore diet
Formula 2 frozen
Mysis shrimp
Spirulina brine shrimp
plankton
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

ADD SELCOM VITAMINS TO FOODS OCCASIONALLY FOR IMMUNITY HEALTH
Thank you.

OP
OP
D

Don's tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that looks like HLLE, that issue does not show up overnight. If you are certain that these lesions showed up in 24 hours or less and did not develop slowly over time, gradually getting larger and deeper, then I would say this is a injury, from being stuck into some rocks while you were working on the tank.

Jay
Thank you

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back