Griev's 50 Gallon Lagoon AIO - #SavePinkyTheWrasse!

OP
OP
Griev

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things continue to slowly improve with my SPS. Everything else is looking amazing.

IMG_20200404_160337_MP.jpg

OP
OP
Griev

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genicanthus spp. are 100% reef safe as far as I've been able to tell. Never seen the pair that I have now nip at any coral. They occasionally pick algae from rocks, but mainly eat from the water column/nori clip. They're super active swimming around the tank, and get along with everything else in the tank. No idea why Genicanthus spp. are not more popular! My favorite saltwater fish for a reef tank tbh.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genicanthus spp. are 100% reef safe as far as I've been able to tell. Never seen the pair that I have now nip at any coral. They occasionally pick algae from rocks, but mainly eat from the water column/nori clip. They're super active swimming around the tank, and get along with everything else in the tank. No idea why Genicanthus spp. are not more popular! My favorite saltwater fish for a reef tank tbh.
Tank is looking great. How big does that Angel get?

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind showing/explaining how your trident is setup on the AIO. I've got an AIO, and was planning an upgrade. The upgrade may be on hold. So now I am debating setting up the Trident and calcium reactor on my AIO.

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been out of the hobby a while and was wondering i always remember people saying not to have to may fish in a small tank how did you decide how many fish you could keep in this tank

OP
OP
Griev

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been out of the hobby a while and was wondering i always remember people saying not to have to may fish in a small tank how did you decide how many fish you could keep in this tank

I've honestly just added fish slowly and as long as no nutrient issues. Then I had to add more because my nutrients kept bottoming out. I've only been skimming and no water change for 4+ weeks and things are looking amazing. Sometimes your tank just needs more fish poo.

OP
OP
Griev

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind showing/explaining how your trident is setup on the AIO. I've got an AIO, and was planning an upgrade. The upgrade may be on hold. So now I am debating setting up the Trident and calcium reactor on my AIO.

I bought an adjustable wire rack on Amazon and have the Trident right under the tank, as high as possible in the stand. The sample line runs up into the rear chamber (opposite of the skimmer so no accidental bubble uptake). No issues so far from having it in the stand under the water line of the tank. There's a minor risk of a siphon, but I've accepted that risk for now since I'm home all the time.

OP
OP
Griev

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's getting warmer and the reef tank kept creeping up above 82F, so I designed an enclosure to put some spare 120mm PC fans to some evaporative cooling duty.

20200508_175653.jpg

20200508_175655.jpg

20200508_175658.jpg

Works pretty well! Currently have it set to click on at 81, and turn off at 80.5, yesterday vs today;

20200508_175702.jpg

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I spotted a kole tang in one of your pictures. I also have a kole tang that's maybe 4-5" in size I"m contemplating if it can be added to my new 50 lagoon or is it too big?

How has yours been doing? I'm downsizing from a larger tank, which is why I have the Kole in the first place.

OP
OP
Griev

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I spotted a kole tang in one of your pictures. I also have a kole tang that's maybe 4-5" in size I"m contemplating if it can be added to my new 50 lagoon or is it too big?

How has yours been doing? I'm downsizing from a larger tank, which is why I have the Kole in the first place.

I've had a Kole Tang in the tank since the start and it's always been happy and active. Always grazing on the rocks.

Mine was pretty shy when it was the biggest fish in the tank, but ever since I added the larger Swallowtail angels, it swims around out in the open a lot more.

The lagoon form factor let's you get away with bigger fish. You've got a larger footprint at the expenses of tank height, but tank height doesn't really give fish more swimming space/territory.

One thing to remember is that if my tank was new, I'd be way overstocked. I've added fish slowly as my tank bacteria and the bioload of coral could support (or in the case of the second angel, need!) more fish poop.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Kole Tang in the tank since the start and it's always been happy and active. Always grazing on the rocks.

Mine was pretty shy when it was the biggest fish in the tank, but ever since I added the larger Swallowtail angels, it swims around out in the open a lot more.

The lagoon form factor let's you get away with bigger fish. You've got a larger footprint at the expenses of tank height, but tank height doesn't really give fish more swimming space/territory.

One thing to remember is that if my tank was new, I'd be way overstocked. I've added fish slowly as my tank bacteria and the bioload of coral could support (or in the case of the second angel, need!) more fish poop.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I won't be able to add my fish back super slowly, as they are in temporary holding as it is. But, I'll for sure keep an eye on things and go as slow as I can.

I've also got a Copperband in QT that I'm not sure will be a good fit long term or not, but it's relatively small at this point so we'll see.

OP
OP
Griev

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Designed and printed some cutouts for my tank's lid so I don't have to move the autofeeder every time I take it off

Second one is so the mangrove roots can eventually grow down into the tank, maybe like a little mangrove bonsai

IMG_20200512_111357_MP.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back