Griev's 50 Gallon Lagoon AIO - #SavePinkyTheWrasse!

OP
OP
Griev

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MVIMG_20200719_142805.jpg

My mangroves don't appear to be doing much above ground, but they don't look bad either. Hopefully they'll show some signs of growth soon. Might not be getting enough nutrients, even with the mud in the mangrove box.

The box I printed is performing awesomely. The flow rate is perfect and none of the mud gets stirred up into the return chamber. Now I just need them to grow! Dang slow growing land corals.

OP
OP
Griev

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the last three to four weeks, my pink streak wrasse was completely MIA, and I had given up hope of seeing him again. Must have found a tiny gap in the lid and gone carpet surfing, I thought. I'd even gotten a flasher wrasse to replace him!

1598217776603.png

Well one day as I was messing with something in the sump, something moved below the water! So he did manage to find a gap in the screen, but he ended up in the SUMP! It's way too narrow and awkward to try and get a net in there, so I first tried baiting him into a Ziploc bag.

1598217923658.png

That didn't work, he was too smart or too suspicious. Either way I had to figure out something! Thus began operation #SavePinkyTheWrasse

OP
OP
Griev

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(cont. #SavePinkyTheWrasse)

Well the solution to this problem was obviously 3d printing! (This thing has paid for itself over and over again at this point)

Popped into fusion to design a fish trap that would fit into the rear chamber of my tank

1598218117978.png

It fits into the rear chamber like this and Pinky gets baited into the trap with a little food

1598218132576.png

Then as soon as he's just a little too comfortable in the new open space... pull up!

1598218175631.png

Trapped! (or so goes the hypothesis)

Time to get things printing and find out if my scheme would work!

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME job - glad you found and successfully rescued the little guy! It'd make me nervous putting him in with another wrasse. Not a flasher, but I would still be worried - tough one for sure.

OP
OP
Griev

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME job - glad you found and successfully rescued the little guy! It'd make me nervous putting him in with another wrasse. Not a flasher, but I would still be worried - tough one for sure.

So far they've showed no interest in each other, so keeping my fingers crossed!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So for the last three to four weeks, my pink streak wrasse was completely MIA, and I had given up hope of seeing him again. Must have found a tiny gap in the lid and gone carpet surfing, I thought. I'd even gotten a flasher wrasse to replace him!

1598217776603.png

Well one day as I was messing with something in the sump, something moved below the water! So he did manage to find a gap in the screen, but he ended up in the SUMP! It's way too narrow and awkward to try and get a net in there, so I first tried baiting him into a Ziploc bag.

1598217923658.png

That didn't work, he was too smart or too suspicious. Either way I had to figure out something! Thus began operation #SavePinkyTheWrasse

HAHA they are sneaky little buggers!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of wrasse is Pinky?

Also, crazy he gets out, those lids fit pretty tightly from my experience. However, I know with mine there is a slight gap between the edge of the frame on the lid and the back acrylic piece that leads to the back filtration chambers. Maybe enough of a gap there for him to find his way out?

OP
OP
Griev

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of wrasse is Pinky?

Also, crazy he gets out, those lids fit pretty tightly from my experience. However, I know with mine there is a slight gap between the edge of the frame on the lid and the back acrylic piece that leads to the back filtration chambers. Maybe enough of a gap there for him to find his way out?

He's a pink streak wrasse. I think he was jumping through the gap near the mangroves. I covered that section with some cardboard and no more escapes yet.

He's also leaving the flasher wrasse completely alone, keeping my fingers crossed there.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back