• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

GROSS! What grosses you out the most in this hobby?

Is there anything that grosses you out about saltwater aquariums?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 165 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 221 56.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters
Corals.com

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
What is the most gross thing about keeping a saltwater aquarium to you?
The biggest thing that grosses me out in this hobby is how it negatively effects my GROSS INCOME
+1 on this. It is disgusting how fast this hobby can drain the pocket book! ;Wacky

HA yes that one gets me too! When I'm feeding and the big fat blue tang poops and all the other fish mistake it for food! EWWWW!
Umm... they weren't mistaking it for food. Plenty of nutritional value left after one pass through the digestive system.... Just saying. ;Vomit

Top Shelf Aquatics

zsxking

View Badges
Reaction score
Most of us were lured into this hobby like prey to an anglerfish! Well maybe it wasn't that bad but it was a good analogy I wanted to use! :p The point is that many of us saw the "pretty" of keeping a saltwater aquarium and either ignored the "ugly" or were just oblivious to it! To me it's worth it but that doesn't make some parts of this hobby any less gross! So let's talk about what's gross to you!

What is the most gross thing about keeping a saltwater aquarium to you? (Share any photos you have)

I am going to share two of my most "favorite" :/ gross things so proceed at your own risk!

1. Worms........Bristle worms in aquarium plumbing.

2. Second is an isopod that eats the tongue of it's host! Ewwww! YUCK!

Image via this Dive Photo Guide article.
1391022604.jpg

1391022519.jpg
The grosser part of that worm video is it's allowed to drop back to the sump. :eek:;Vomit

https://www.omegasea.net/

Thespammailaccount

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Most of us were lured into this hobby like prey to an anglerfish! Well maybe it wasn't that bad but it was a good analogy I wanted to use! :p The point is that many of us saw the "pretty" of keeping a saltwater aquarium and either ignored the "ugly" or were just oblivious to it! To me it's worth it but that doesn't make some parts of this hobby any less gross! So let's talk about what's gross to you!

What is the most gross thing about keeping a saltwater aquarium to you? (Share any photos you have)

I am going to share two of my most "favorite" :/ gross things so proceed at your own risk!

1391022604.jpg

1391022519.jpg

1391022604.jpg

1391022519.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
BRISTLEWORMS BRISTLEWORMS BRISTLEWORMS.

(really any kind of worm)

Honestly, I feel like if I knew they were there they wouldn't gross me out as much. I can still remember the very first time I saw this 8-10 inch giant centipede thing in my little 13.5g nano tank and I had no idea what I was looking at. Didn't understand hitchhikers in some newly acquired live rock at the time and I sure freaked out from it...

https://www.omegasea.net/

Have you ever had an aquarium heater issue before?

• Yes, heater exploded

Votes: 91 17.3%
  • Yes, heater "stuck" on

Votes: 131 24.9%
  • Yes, heater wasn't big enough

Votes: 57 10.8%
  • Yes, heater just stopped working

Votes: 190 36.1%
  • NO

Votes: 184 34.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 36 6.8%